jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

If you see a stranger walking beside the road, do you pick them up?

1. thelyricwriter profile image92
    thelyricwriterposted 4 years ago

If you see a stranger walking beside the road, do you pick them up?

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

I have done so. I also have gladly accepted rides from strangers while walking along the highway. I live in an area where people still stop for hitchhikers, especially in bad weather.
    Many people who want to catch a ride forget that in heavy traffic on narrow roads, it can prove difficult for a driver to stop. You need to wait at a place where the driver can safely pull off the road and where he or she can see you from a fair distance.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

No, I don't. I used to hitchhike when I was young, and sometimes I feel bad about it , but I don't take the chance of picking up strangers.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, as a woman, I would not feel safe picking up someone unless I already knew them.

5. padmendra profile image44
    padmendraposted 4 years ago

In earlier time,  we used to help people  with an aim to give them support whenever you see a person walking or waiting beside the road side. This was possible because the people were honest, positive and trustworthy at that time. . Now if you dare to do this, chances are that the stranger walking beside the road will  either rob you of all your valuables  or will try to eliminate you if he is is not successful..So one has to be very  cautious about this kind of help and never dare to do that taking into the consideration of  worst consequences out of it.

1. profile image0
      bri36posted 4 years agoin reply to this

"in earlier time" this is your reasoning for thinking that everybody who walks along the highway has a gun and wants to rob and kill you? If that is the case then just keep on going because you are going to get killed with your victims mindset!

6. Sri T profile image81
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

No. The world has changed. You never know what people will do these days. It's better to be safe than sorry.

7. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Not in this day and age. I also would not likely get into a car/truck or van with a stranger who offered me a ride if I were walking.
    It's not the "smart" thing to do.

8. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 4 years ago

Great question.  And the answer weighs heavy on the minds of goodhearted people. In today's world it would be dangerous and foolhardy to stop to pick up a stranger along the roadside. 
    The old saying that: "no good deed goes unpunished" is more profound and true today than ever before in the past.
    So, before picking up a stranger, ask yourself a couple of questions:
    1. what would i do if they pulled a knife or gun on me?
    2. what would my family, friends, or spouse do if i were suddenly murdered for my vehicle, money, or credit cards?
    3.  am i ready to die?
    4.  with the answers to these questions so uncertain, could i, or my family,  live with the consequences?

9. btrbell profile image91
    btrbellposted 4 years ago

I used to but now I am afraid. I will, however, stop long enough to see if I can call anyone for them.

1. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Even that act of kindness is dangerous if they are carrying a gun.  We still cannot out run a bullet

10. profile image0
    bri36posted 4 years ago

if you saw a pitbull puppy that was starving and needed some simple love would you feed him? call the dog catcher? or just turn a blind eye to possibly the greatest friend you could ever hope for....

1. d.william profile image73

pitbulls don't carry guns & knives. Last week i saw a dog hurt on the side of the road. I called 911, got the dogcatcher, & waited with the dog until he arrived.  I would do the same for a human & so would most others. Ur logic is not rel

2. profile image0
      bri36posted 4 years agoin reply to this

that is the point and I can spell without using facebook as a guide

3. d.william profile image73

again, your comment is nonsensical.

working