jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some tips for making a career change when you're in your late 50's?

1. Donna Huebsch profile image90
    Donna Huebschposted 6 years ago

What are some tips for making a career change when you're in your late 50's?

2. Jessi10 profile image76
    Jessi10posted 6 years ago

It is never too late to make a career change. Some of the most successful business people have started their careers at a later time in their lives.. If you want to make a career change, my first piece of advice would be for you to research the career you want to have as much as possible, and start out slowly..

Today, there are hundreds of people starting their own careers everyday, and although it is easy, you also have to compete against a lot of people. So, start out slow and take things from there.

3. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I recently heard a statistic that stated many new businesses are established by older individuals who wish to make a career change. It also indicated the majority were successful due to experience and a willingness to work hard.  I heard of a lady who went to college and became a surgeon at the age of 55.  That is awesome! You are never too old at 50 to learn and certainly have a great experience and wisdom to share.

4. Gurpreet Seehra profile image81
    Gurpreet Seehraposted 6 years ago

The biggest asset an old person has is his experience. You must have made a lot of failures and successes in life. You may want to be a consultant in a field which thrills you (or just interests you). I also feel that people in this age are more poised and patient. The are the best advisers especially in the familial issues.
    Wish you luck in finding a befitting profession at this time.