How do I start a Union at work?

1. Dee42 profile image76
    Dee42posted 6 years ago

How do I start a Union at work?

I've always wondered about this. My luck, there is a law against Nurse Assistants forming a Union.  All the men in my family were or in Unions.

2. profile image60
    celticmelodyposted 6 years ago

As far as I know, there is no law against it.  Oddly enough, when I was in nursing school, I worked as a nursing assistant.  We HAD a union.  I never once saw my union rep.  It didn't have any effect on my breaks or pay at all.  And, it cost me $12 a paycheck regardless of the number of hours at work.   My experience with nursing and teacher's unions has been poor.   Of course it could be that I lived in a right-to-work state at the time.  Unions like the United Autoworker's Union have always seemed more effective to me.
    That said,  my good friend Linda organized one for the audio visual and teacher's aids in her school district.  She started by gathering together a group of like minded co-workers and bringing their common grievances to management as a group.   The union grew out of that effort.  So, I would do the same:  gather together your coworkers, list your grievances, and set up a meeting with management where you can express your concerns. 

If you approach management with something like, "We'd like to make this a better place to work for everybody and put patient concern above all.  Here are some things that we think will attain those goals........"

3. pramodgokhale profile image47
    pramodgokhaleposted 6 years ago

To form a Union is a fundamental right of workers anywhere. We do not make difference of democratic and undemocratic nations. In general governments in the countries do not support unions and claims that strike or demands cause national loss. I differ with so called think tanks and they usually are on pay rolls of big business houses or corporates.
    In many countries minimum wage act is is force but implementation is poor.
    There are many genuine reasons that workers should have right to demand or protest if
    management  enforces conditions which may hurt his/her job security and lively hood
    then labor  court and long term litigation ,finally workers get raw deal
    Union is a fundamental right

working