jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Where I work there is no union. Should I be concerned?

1. Oldskool903 profile image79
    Oldskool903posted 8 years ago

Where I work there is no union. Should I be concerned?

The company I work for refuses to have a union so I was wondering if I should be concerned with this.

2. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Yes, you should be concerned if you are a slacker, a goof-off, irresponsible, cannot learn easily, etc., and think that the employer OWES you the job forever once you get it regardless of your performance or how the business is doing.

3. GNelson profile image76
    GNelsonposted 8 years ago

Look at how they treat their employees and then decide.  Look at their safety record.  There are good companies to work for that are not union.  Unions just make them better.

4. nadine_stowne profile image54
    nadine_stowneposted 8 years ago

Only if a union is needed. Unions originally came into existence because companies were treating their employees badly, not giving them good wages, taking away health care or not offering it at all, etc. The formation of a union of workers all fighting together for a common good was extremely important, both to their immediate situation and to the working class today. Many of the things that companies now offer their employees have come from union involvement in the past.

However, not all unions are working for the people anymore. There are some unions that are too big, looking out for their own best interests and not that of the employees they represent. In fact, there are independent unions today made up of workers who have never worked for the company they represent. These men and women are then responsible for knowing what is in the best interests of a company they have never worked for, which is a tall order. I don't believe this is actually serving the purpose of the union system.

Many unions today are looking after their own goals and then forcing them upon the workers, which is not how it's supposed to be. I have seen too many employees just trying to do a good job and get through their day who get caught up in the middle of a battle between the union's views and the company's views, neither of which might be held by the employees. Again, unions did not start out this way and, if used properly, are a great way for workers to have their needs met. However, more and more unions are running over the employees they are trying to protect.

Saying all of that, you need to look to your working environment. Does your company offer you good wages, a health care plan, other benefits, etc? Do they over-work you and underpay you? Have they mistreated any of the employees? If the answer is no, then you don't have much reason for a union. However, if things change and the company starts treating their employees badly or unfairly, then maybe you should get your fellow employees together and form a union of your own. Just be sure that you only do so if it is necessary. Forming a union because you are being selfish and want more and more and more isn't a good enough reason. Honestly needing more to survive and work well in this world is a good reason.

5. profile image50
    ecriderposted 8 years ago

Nadine Stowne, you are most definitely on the money. I use to be a chief steward for a three shift company.

working