Are Labor Unions still necessary?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Are Labor Unions still necessary?

In the past Labor Unions have been credited with such worker rights as yearly raises, set minimum pay, maternity leave, vacation pay, and set daily and weekly hours of work. Today many opponents of Unions argue that they have gotten too powerful and are an hindrance to job growth.

2. Goody5 profile image64
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

YES unions are still necessary! If it weren't for unions today employers would be running wild and taking every advantage of the workers. Union contracts help keep a good balance in today's working world. Look at how many non-union workers don't have job security, and can't even get 40 hours a week much less benefits at places like WalMart and McDonald's. I'm not answering this question to argue and I've had my word, and if you are happy with a non-union job then that's great, however I'm a Teamster to the grave.

1. mintinfo profile image76
      mintinfoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No argument intended Goody5. I've never been in a union but I understand their importance. There is a union breaking sentiment going around and while I do agree that some unions are too powerful I dread the alternative, Sweatshops

3. Rhonda_M profile image84
    Rhonda_Mposted 5 years ago

I believe that unions are still necessary to go to bat for the employees. Unfortunately, they are loosign their "teeth" in some places. I speak only of teaching where there's a union and the union has not really been able to do very much for the teachers except ensure a modicum fo job security while wages are frozen and work loads increase.

4. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Yep, there is a place for labour unions, as soon as any society gets rid of them the employers would drag any country back to the oppressive working conditions of the 19 c.  We have employers 'unions' but no one seems to batt a eyebrow at their existance.  It is a truism that employers want to make the most product with the lowest cost, and sell at the highest price they can get away with; all think what a wonderful idea, but as soon as employees want a fair slice of the cake everyone paints them as the big bad wolves.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

No. And unions in the civil service are gouging tax payers.

6. safiq ali patel profile image71
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

I think Labor unions do still play a part in negotiating rates and rights for workers which are lost if an employee is not with a trade union. Trade unions are still strong and leading. In face in many of Europe's economies Labor Unions are still very powerful and are often the loudest voice lobbying for the rights of workers.

7. Little Grandmommy profile image60
    Little Grandmommyposted 5 years ago

Tennessee where I live, is a "right to work state",  In essense this means if the company you work for doesn't have a union in place to protect you they can pretty much do what they want.   An example:  the company my husband works for started something new.  It's a transportation company.  If a driver has what is deemed a preventable accident then their branch mgr. will also be held accountable and they will both be fired.  I couldn't believe this was legal.  So, I called the Labor Board and asked them.  I found out that it is legal because there is a "right to work state".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)