How can I search for hidden jobs?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (44 posts)
  1. @davis3 profile image60
    @davis3posted 14 years ago

Most job vacancies are never advertised in the media and i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how I may go about searching for an unadvertised job. Any tips?

1. profile image53
      butterflygirl2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used Apply Direct to find my latest job.  Navigating the site is so easy and the job searches gave me results that actually matched my search criteria.   You apply direct to the company without having to go through an agency.  The results were fast and I had email alerts sent through about jobs daily to keep me up to date on what employers are hiring directly.  There are no fake jobs or pyramid schemes.  I’ve attached the link below to check them out:
      applydirect.com.au

2. webyogi profile image55
      webyogiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you looked on www.careersiteadvisor.com? The site organizes all Career & Job Sites online and help you identify sites that carry relevant job vacancies for your job search. Job Sites with  jobs that might otherwise go unnoticed, or contain the perfect job and go un-applied for are listed on this site. Hope this helps.

3. dwarfstar profile image69
      dwarfstarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well sometimes you need extra effort to surf in the net and look or sign up for jobs site like jobstreet.com or jobsdb.com.

4. Blogging Erika profile image67
      Blogging Erikaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've had success before by identifying companies that I'd want to work for, and that could use my services, and then just contacting their HR department.  I do technical writing, so I look for start ups with some complexity in their systems, and who don't have any good help docs on their sites already!

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

everything here is helpful, I think networking/talking to anyone, everyone, letting them know what you can do, that you're available for work.

also, you never know who may be standing behind you in line at the local coffee shop, could be someone who's getting ready to post a job and doesn't want to advertise.

6. itcoll profile image60
      itcollposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why not be a freelancer?there are lots of opportunities for freelancers.And if you are good at article writing,there are thousands of articles to be written for others each day.you may pick some of them.

7. Google Gal profile image62
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hit the pavement with your resume smile

8. successfulblogger profile image59
      successfulbloggerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Search different job boards and network with employees at a particular place. One job board I like is www.snazzyjob.com.
      It has a box where you can type in what job you are looking for and where and it pulls jobs from all over the internet. Places you never even heard of. Good luck with your search I hope this helps.

9. profile image52
      adsenseapprovalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you have updated CV?
      Then forward your resumes directly to HR or project managers(Get 500+ HR mail IDs)

jobcollections.blogspot.com

10. editmasters profile image61
      editmastersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look in the dryer (where all the lost socks go), or under the couch cushions. I lost a job there once .. perhaps you'll find it. If you can't, just create your own job. Polishing shoes pays pretty well. (Just ask Joe Pesci).

Paul

11. AnywhereGardener profile image59
      AnywhereGardenerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just found out that my Avon lady is a part-time recruiter and she told me a lot of the jobs are never posted. She goes to the employer's websites since she is a recruiter she has this available to her.
      So find a recruiter and get your resume in the best condition possible so other recruiters will pick up on it.  I finally gave in and paid to have my resume re-written and it did help.  I've received 1/2 dozen or so contacts from recruiters lately asking if I'd be willing to (take less pay) and would I be interested in applying for some of their jobs.

1. profile image0
        Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In a recession jobs are not advertised due to the sheer volume of over- and under qualified jobs seekers and every one in between applying for these positions. Likewise, it is a nightmare to keep track of all of these candidates.

12. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go very slowly, look very carefully and do it on foot.  The first half of my life I never looked in a paper for jobs, I would start at one end of the block and go in every single place and tell the management to "Please give me a job, I'm a good worker, and I live close so I won't be late, and I will do any job you have because I need money, we are hungry."  It never failed I had a job within two hours.

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

make a list of fields you are interested in and find specific companies. go to their websites and search job openings.
      also if you know someone who works in a field or company you're interested in, talk to them and find out more, they often know when a position is opening. some of these companies go through temp services trying to find the right person.

if anyone has this experience, copywriter, website design, I just found a great position open for a new SEO company in Tampa, Florida, Socius Marketing. Looks like a good lead for someone who knows Dreamweaver.
      http://www.sociusmarketing.com/staff-writer.htm

also they are hiring sales, salary and commission!
      http://www.sociusmarketing.com/jobs.htm

14. resumejack profile image60
      resumejackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very often it's a matter of deciding what company you'd like to work for, researching them on LinkedIn or Google to find the hiring manager for the position you'd fit in best, then determining what need they might have that you might fill. For instance, if you're a marketing communications person, you might check up the food chain to see if you can find the VP of Marketing and/or Communications. If you're persistent enough, you can find almost anything on the Net these days.

What you want to do then is write them what some experts call a "Pain Letter": That is, assuming that their business has some "pain" and you're the "pain reliever."

Your first paragraph might say something about how you've researched the company and seen that they've just acquired some other company, and how that must really tax their marketing team.

Your second paragraph will tell them a story about how you faced the same issue(s) in your previous life, and how you succeeded at putting out those fires.

Your third paragraph would suggest a meeting to talk about the issue some more, either by phone or in person.

Bottom line: You need to show them (as you would any potential employer) that you know about their business and are the ONLY one who can provide them what they need.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

You can always check out *Training* opportunities too as some may pay.

3. bpo-outsourcing profile image58
    bpo-outsourcingposted 14 years ago

You can try posting your resume on freelance sites, they will just contact you if they're interested.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I actually got my last job by just mailing my resume to places I think would be a fun place to work at or I would like to work at. that is how I do it and am going to do it again hopefully get lucky again and find a job. smile
    Good luck to you!!!!!

5. profile image49
    buffalo wingposted 14 years ago

hidden job.  hmmm?---stand in the corner--count to 10.. say ready or not, here i come........................................sorry, had to do that

6. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

I've found the best way is to check the website of companies you're interested in working for.  It's very time consuming, but I've had good luck with this technique since companies can advertise for free on their own website.  Also, many companies have a policy to post every position (mine does) even if there are strong internal candidates.

7. TINA V profile image69
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

Aside from checking the websites of the companies your interested to join, you can also call their HR Department to verify vacant positions.  For retail companies, try going to their Customer Service or Information Center.  This technique sometimes work, sometimes not.  However, there is no harm in trying.
    You can also check the websites of staffing agencies or headhunters.  Try also checking out websites of TV networks. 
    Goodluck!

8. profile image56
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

Many jobs are never advertised because employers rely on a network. They simply ask colleagues and employees of the industry or company whether they know of somebody who would be interested and qualified.

Networking can be done by attending the profession's chapter meetings or conferences. Some professions host career fairs for students. The important thing is to get to know people who either work for the company you want to work for or to get to know people in the profession you intend to join.

Always have business cards ready with your contact information, what you are, and a link to your cv on the web (for example www.visualcv.com or www.linkedin.com.

9. highprofile profile image78
    highprofileposted 14 years ago

Take a look at my hubpage about networking back to work.  It has a section that goes through a proactive process.  Most people these days never get the opportunity to gain access to the right people but using networking methods for job hunting.

Hope that helps?

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I would only have one thing to say to this post and then I will be done with this thread.

My assessment of how to search for hidden jobs- isn't really about seeking a hidden job, but to bring to light the hidden choice many people do not want to confront.

The 'hidden' choice that you DO NOT SEE is that you should not be looking for a job, but you should be trying to be self-employed.

I realize that being an independant business owner isn't what a lot of people want to do, but believe it or not, it's your best option(choice).

Approximately, 50% of Americans don't want anything to do with a business, other than working a measly dead-end job, that pays them just barely enough to get by.

When, in fact- the TRUE path to wealth building and happiness, is for you to set your own hours, set your own schedule and pay yourself what YOU think you are worth, and not what someone else is willing to pay you.

You can build a business as large as you like, because it's based on your drive, determination, vision and effort.

It's in your best interest- Why? Because it is the nature of man and/or woman to satisfy their own SELF interest and working a job, puts you into a position where you are demanded to answer to a higher authority, just like your religion does.

Jobs do not have the meaning, that they had in the 1970 versus now. A Business creates versatilility and grants you the ability to adapt to your surroundings, much more easily than if you continue to move from a job to another job.

Another fine point to owning your own business - YOU ARE BOSS!

Meaning, NO ONE is above you and NO one can fire you or lay you off.

Thank you for listening. lol

11. profile image53
    butterflygirl2009posted 14 years ago

My last post the link did not work, let's try again:

www.applydirect.com.au

12. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

You have to network and start talking to people.  The best jobs do not go to the most qualified, they go to the most networked.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto that -- but for small and medium-sized companies only. Large companies don't play the nepotism game at all.

13. motricio profile image69
    motricioposted 14 years ago

Hi everyone.
    I think 2 options comes to my mind:
    Employed and Self-Employed(Independent)
    Both are good to any career's experience, but sooner or later we'll need to get rid of Employed Jobs, 'cause Corp. mounsters like to employ you and get the best results, no matter how.
    And that how is our lives.

14. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

Cold calling, cold calling, cold calling.  Seriously you say?  Yes!  You're right, most job openings aren't advertised. And if you call at the right time, you might just get one and be the only candidate! 

It shows initiative, passion, persistence, and it saves the HR dept from having to spend time and money actively looking for someone.

I guess it also depends on if your background is common, like accounting or sales.  Those are always have openings in any given company.

I really enjoy giving career advice so thanks for asking! Hope that helps!

15. Devoted99 profile image58
    Devoted99posted 14 years ago

Hello!

I think good jobs are in those big companies, and seems big companies are exposing their vacancies in news papers, in the net & other possible media. So the idea there is just a matter of personal initiative on how he/she could find those jobs.

16. TN21 profile image61
    TN21posted 14 years ago

you can always go to your local city's employment organization, each county or city should have at least 1 state employment service.

Some companies would rather advertise through the state because of the free of charge postings unlike having to pay for the newspaper ad section or Web sites.

The employment service can also serve as a referral.

17. profile image0
    TomGreenFan917posted 14 years ago

phew lyrics isn't here! good!

18. profile image0
    Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years ago

Develop a list of all your professional and personal contacts regardless if you think they can help you or not. Create a one page document that lists your desired job function, profession, industry, elevator pitch, targeted companies, and geographic regions.

Reach out to your contacts, tell them you are in transition, and need their assistance. Share your one page document with them, seek feedback, ask if they know anyone who works at your targeted companies, and if so ask for referrals to these individuals. Also ask them who else they recommend you speak to.

Next reach out to your referrals, tell them who referred you, the purpose of you contacting them, and set up a time to talk. Build rapport by asking them questions about their industries, companies, and experiences. Afterwards, follow the same process you did with your warm contacts and eventually ask for referrals to hiring managers. Follow the same process with the hiring managers and ask for formal interviews for hidden opportunities (or opportunities they are going to create for you based off of your strengths) or referrals to other hiring managers (if they have no need for you currently).

You can also use the advanced search on LinkedIn to locate company insiders at your targeted companies who have a common interest with you (alums, members of the same professional association, LinkedIn groups, and so on). Follow the same networking process with them.

You can even perform a search using Twellow to locate additional company insiders at your targeted companies or by profession.

You can network with the director of economic development at your local chamber of commerce to see if any new businesses plan to enter or if any business plan to expand.

You can also follow the direct approach by calling the President/CEOs of small and midsized companies, asking to be transferred to their voicemail, leaving a message stating your name, summary of what you do and years of experience, that you will be in their area later this week or next, and would be honored to meet with them to discuss how you can help grow revenue and profit for their company...

Wait to see if they return your call and leave you a message. This exercise is a numbers game. So maybe out of 150 companies, you will generate 7-10 interviews and 2-3 offers.

1. allie8020 profile image67
      allie8020posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great reply, Kenrick!

I also wanted to add that you can network with people while doing volunteer work in the community.

For example, many tech executives and employees for major companies in Silicon Valley, California volunteer for the Second Harvest Food Bank. You can talk to these potential contacts and try to get information about their companies as well as any available job opportunities while you’re doing your volunteering tasks.

If you're feeling bold, you can drop by your target company and network with their current employees when they are on their break . You can get a lot of insider information that way. If you're interested in health care jobs, you can check out my hub on How to Find the Hidden Job Market in Healthcare.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your job search!

19. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My husband has just found a job after being laid off.  The advice Kenrick gives is excellent.  My hubby specifically targeted companies that he wanted to work for.  He set up a plan, got on the companies auto-responder, and it paid off.  Three interviews, three job offers.

20. profile image0
    vagabondinglifeposted 14 years ago

I just wrote a hub about that actually - Google picks up and indexes lots of jobs in places that never get advertised on the big job sites like Monster.com....I've found 2 new writing jobs using it so far:

http://hubpages.com/hub/job-google

Good luck!

21. privateye2500 profile image40
    privateye2500posted 13 years ago

There are PILES of them on linked in!

Go here:

http://www.linkedin.com/

join and then go to:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?

and join the group FSCC and you will be utterly inundated with jobs you never thought existed!  If you can't get a job there....well.

Right now there are 56 new and that is just today!

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great tip PrivateEye, didn't know that existed and will check it out...

22. profile image52
    Peyton21posted 13 years ago

Almost every big company has a career site. For example B/E Aerospace has a career site and is currently hiring for. http://careers.beaerospace.com
    If you have a company in mind set up a google alert.
    For example B/E Aerospace jobs. With google alerts, every time google has new information on that company, you will get an email with a link.

23. shanmugamp profile image62
    shanmugampposted 13 years ago

Linkedin is a great way to connect with people and get to know about hidden job opportunities. As you do more networking there, it is possible to get a lot of word of mouth references for jobs

24. sean kinn profile image61
    sean kinnposted 13 years ago

I realize this is a slightly dated question (although the recession is still ongoing), but I would highly recommend that anyone still looking for a job (or a better job) get a copy of the 2011 "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard N. Bolles.

In short, p. 11 in the book notes that "Even during hard times, people in the U.S. have been finding new jobs by the millions, this month and every month. Moreover, even after that, millions of vacancies remain unfilled."

That's something to think about, and there are a number of other very specific methods detailed in the book:

- Starting a job-club (p. 42) has an 84% success rate.

- Telling people that you're looking for a job (p. 41) has an 80% success rate.

- Visiting small business employers after finding them in the Yellow Pages (p. 41) has a 59% success rate.

- Knocking on the door of any employer, factory, or office that interests you (p. 40) has a 47% success rate.

See if your local library has a copy of the book. Even an older version of one of the Parachute guides has powerful job search techniques that most people are not aware of.

25. gvannorman150 profile image61
    gvannorman150posted 13 years ago

Hidden jobs?  Not sure if there is such a thing. If you are actively looking for work you can use these tips.

1. Register with the local dept of labor.
    2. Write your resume.
    3. Check Craigslist daily.
    4. Email every job that you like on Craigslist.
    5. Apply for every job that you like.  Even if you are not completely qualified. If you sell yourself good enough to the interviewer then you might just land the dream job.

Remember that it takes confidence and determination to get what you want.  So, go out and get it.

26. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

hidden jobs are jobs found through networking, contacts, friends, etc. jobs that aren't necessarily advertised. as kendrick replied, some businesses simply won't advertise because of the amount of responses they receive. calling companies you're interested in and asking to speak to human resources can help.
    Robin Ryan has some excellent books and articles on how to tap the hidden job market.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)