jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

If more people started their own businesses, wouldn't it make more job vacancies

1. Teresa Schultz profile image81
    Teresa Schultzposted 5 years ago

If more people started their own businesses, wouldn't it make more job vacancies available?

What are your thoughts on this? I feel that many people can't find a job because there simply aren't enough businesses with vacancies or businesses that need more staff. Now, if somebody (struggling to find a job) starts a business, no matter how small, and soon enough finds they need 5 staff members to help them out, there's immediately 5 job vacancies available that weren't before. Or is increasing the amount of job vacancies available to the unemployed more involved than this? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

2. cloverleaffarm profile image77
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Even in our small town, there are enough jobs to find, if they really want to work. If you have to "lower" yourself, and work at a fast food chain, so be it.
    Now, with that said starting a business is not always a simple task. Some, would have no clue on how to go about it. This, I know from doing seminars on how to start your own small craft business.
    If you start your own business, it will take a long time for it to get to the point where you can hire people. Also, there is many more expenses with hiring someone. There is the extra taxes, workers comp, and payroll.
    After owning several businesses myself, I can tell you it takes quite a while to get to the point of hiring someone.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are on the right track. That is why more lawyers, doctors and accountants go to work for firms instead of starting their own practices. If you start your own business, you buy all the materials and equipment you need, you pay for insurance, etc.

3. Wesley Meacham profile image91
    Wesley Meachamposted 5 years ago

The short answer is yes...

But for the the long answer....

I've heard this most of my life, usually from the "self-help-guru" crowd. Any person whether they have a job at the moment or not who opens their own small business and is successful does essentially remove themselves from the employment pool. And yes depending on the type of business they may also be able to create job opportunities for others.

In theory, if I have a job and I quit that job to open my own business I've already helped to create one job opportunity for someone else because the job that I'm leaving will be filled by another person. If my business grows and I need to hire five people then I've created jobs for at least six people. You could also argue that my successful business my help even more in that (depending on the type of business) my suppliers will also benefit from my success. This could potentially save jobs or create more that I'm not directly knowledgeable of.

The old saying goes that "a rising tide lifts all ships."

The key there is that they must be successful. If I start a business and I'm not successful then all I've likely to have accomplished is to add myself to the group of people looking for employment. Few people would want to trade the perception of a security that they find in the job that they have for the potential of struggling with unemployment that they might face if they happen to fail.

That isn't to say that people shouldn't try... just that most people probably wouldn't because the fear of negative consequences often outweighs the motivation of positive ones.

4. Lipnancy profile image93
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

I am all for starting your own business and not working for anyone. I recommend it for everyone. It gives you new freedom that you have never had....

But it does not necessarily create a job for someone else. Many companies are combining positions and finding better and more efficient ways of doing business.

5. edhylcrc2011 profile image59
    edhylcrc2011posted 5 years ago

In starting a business we should consider this business ideas;
    - the place
    - people
    - purchasing power
    - and profitability, if its feasible or not.
    - environment
    If we consider these items,hopefully we can generate more profit and maybe we can expand such business we've started, likewise we can recruit workers.

working