How necessary is disaster preparedness in a business environment?

1. Anjili profile image83
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

How necessary is disaster preparedness in a business environment?

2. oz-vitez profile image71
    oz-vitezposted 5 years ago

I think it is very necessary. Whether natural or man-made, disasters can be very disruptive to businesses. Most people think disaster preparedness only applies to hurricanes, tornadoes, and earth quakes. I think, however, companies need these preparations for supplier disruption, political coups, major loss of raw materials and similar issues. In some cases, these plans may be similar, though different individuals may have different plans in terms of job responsibilities under disaster preparedness.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Very important. Of course I say that from the perspective of someone who has worked in the medical field for over three decades and been involved in recent years with disaster management planning. I think all businesses need to plan for the unexpected - sudden illness and injury of workers, workplace hazards and safety, and yes, disasters. The planning needs to be appropriate to the business, types of employees, geographical location and types of potential emergencies, function of the business and interrelatedness with community organizations. For example, the simplest most basic plan needs to include a communication system, a phone tree system and measures to be taken in the event of various natural disasters such as tornadoes and floods, and man-made disasters such as train wrecks, plane crashes and chemical spills. And don't forget about including a plan for computer crashes! You need to have a back-up paper system!

working