Why does God save the miracles for after the disaster?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Religulousposted 13 years ago

Why couldn't he made an effort prevent it from happening in the first place? What's the old saying? Prevention is better than a cure? It'd save a lot of lives, distress and heartache if it was avoided in the first place. Rather than miraculously save 0.001% of the population after the ordeal. If God is so powerful, why doesn't he just stop it?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

good question

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If there was no disease; there won't be any medicine; there won't be any hospitals; there won't be any doctors; there won't be any para-medics; there won't be any medical research; there won't be any medical science.

So on and so forth

If there is no death; there won't be perhaps life also

2. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i must assume your a Bill M fan by your choice of name, no worries, i happen to like his brand of sarcasim as well.

to answer your question,...

in the most simple sense,... miracles arent needed before an accident,... a miracle prior to a great dissaster is,.... well,.... nothing,.... nothing hapens.

secondly, mankind is and has always been somewhat deaf,.... we realy dont pay attention until something realy huge happens,... for all of our brains, bright shiny or loud things get our attention.... with that in mind, thats what huge disasters are for,... they are teaching moments, we learn from them.

lastly, i personaly do not think god maintains any controll over things like earth-quakes, tsunamis, and huricanes,..... god built the natural machine that does those things,... he just watches and is available to us should we seek.

i know its sounds juvenile and old fashiond, but thats the way i see it.

psaa -jack

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the children will lead. It's easier for a child to understand than it is for older folks, I think. I enjoyed reading your comment.

3. thebrucebeat profile image60
    thebrucebeatposted 13 years ago

The miracle done before the disaster would be one done in secret and for pure benevolence.
    The one after the fact allows you to be worshiped for it.

4. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 13 years ago

It has been said that God gets all of the credit, and none of the blame. Suppose there is an earthquake that causes massive destruction and kills hundreds of people. Then rescue crews rescue a crying baby from the wreckage. What will people say? They will call it a miracle from God that the baby got out alive.

But what about the hundreds of dead human beings? Don't they count? God gets all of the credit (for the baby) and none of the blame (for the deaths of many more people).

Regarding the notion that "people wouldn't pay attention" if God prevented the disaster from occurring in the first place, this is a copout. There are any number of ways that God would be able to demonstrate that X number of people COULD have died from Y disaster, but did not.

God is supposed to be pretty smart. He's a big boy. I'm sure he could figure it out. If he wanted to, that is...

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, where are the miracles?

1. secularist10 profile image60
        secularist10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dunno...it would be miraculous to find one! yuk, yuk, yuk

I got a million of 'em

5. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

I don't think anyone can offer an answer as to 'why these huge natural disasters happen in a World overseen by God' that would be acceptable to everyone.

It's a fact of life that we live in a world where shit happens (no I'm not swearing, I'm using a valid English word that social conditioning has told us it's a bit rude), and we will all die at some point for one reason or another. So as life's ending is often unexpected, one must be aware of one's limited time to make peace with their maker.

6. Madeline Perry profile image58
    Madeline Perryposted 13 years ago

This question is one that comes from every person, Christian or not.  There is often the question for why didn't God prevent the disaster? Why didn't He 'save the day'?

In recent times my faith has sorely been tested with not only the many natural disasters around the world, but also with some pretty devastating events in my own life. Its been through these times that our reliance on God is even more needed. 

I firmly believe that God allows these things to happen in the world so that His glory and power can be seen.  God's miracles are those where people have been saved from certain death. His miracles are in the near misses and even in amongst the tragedy itself. How often do we forget to praise God for the little miracles?

We don't know why God allows these things to happen. Nor do we understand why so many people have to suffer. Earthquakes, hurricanes, cyclones, floods and fires have been around virtually since the dawn of time and are a part of nature. Is it only because the world's populations have grown so much, that we are now building cities in places that once we would not have dared? Or do we think that our technology and strategic planning could account for all risk including nature? I don't believe that man has ever been able to control the environment. In fact, many believe that it is through these natural disasters that the world has been constantly changing over the many centuries.  How many of man's decisions are made for financial gain, rather than for the people who live in the area?

Blaming God for all the pain and suffering in the world is not right. Much of the pain and suffering is often as a result of human decisions.  Eg In the recent floods here in Australia, many of the places that went under, under also gone under in the previous large floods and yet we chose to rebuild on this land and to build houses that do not take this into consideration. 

None of man's inventions come as perfect. The Japanese, for example, had put all the safety controls into place to try and avoid the nuclear disaster that has taken place. But despite their best world practices, one powerful earthquake damaged their power plants and so the nuclear disaster was born.

Man has a history of forgetting of how God has delivered him in the past. I bring your attention to Noah's descendants who forgot about the flood and began to worship idols once again? Or perhaps the Jews when God delivered them from the Egyptians, firstly through the 10 plagues, then leading them through the desert providing them with food and water and also the dividing of the sea so they could walk on dry land and escape the pursuing Egyptians? 

All too often, we forget the good things that God has done or get angry at Him when things don't go our way.  God's power is best seen after a disaster because that's when we, as humans, finally realize that we aren't god and we need Him to rescue us.  Its not until we come to the end of all our resources that we stop and look up.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the question is geared towards Christians and is usually asked by non-believers. Of course, the answer is quite simple to understand.

So, your god mass murders tens to hundreds of thousands of people to show his glory?  Based on your logic, Hitler and Stalin were both miracle makers and should be glorified.

What about those who were not saved from certain death? Why does your god pick and choose who to save and who should die?

But, you just said it was to test your faith in him. He kills people by the boatload so YOU can have faith.

But, you just said he allows the pain and suffering in order to test your faith.   

But, he doesn't rescue anyone because most die in the disaster. smile

7. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

i know its fool hardy to jump back in,... but,...

god has no controll oer earth quakes or anything else in nature for that matter,.... shit happens,.... if you could translate that to hebrew or old greek it would sound realy philosphical,... while "shit happens" just sounds like lary the cable guy met yoda and they got drunk.

the point is that god the creator doesnt have his hand in he pudle, making ripples for his enjoyment.... it just doesnt work that way,.... not inmy concept of god any way,.... pillory me for my view if you like,.. buts its still my view until you show me a better one.

god built the big machine that we call nature,... its a self regulating machine,.... it doesnt need him,.... we need him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)