jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you tell the truth at an interview?

1. bmcoll3278 profile image77
    bmcoll3278posted 5 years ago

Do you tell the truth at an interview?

When interviewing for a job . I have been asked this. "Have you ever stolen from your employer ?"  How do you answer this. Most of us have taken paperclips,pens,made copies for personal use, brought home sugar, Little stuff. Do you say yes or no?

2. Rhonda_M profile image82
    Rhonda_Mposted 5 years ago

Really are people asking that? I think you could say that you respect the office property, but have been absentminded on occasion and taken a pen home I wouldn't say anything about photocopying. These days anyhow, some places  (one that I am working in now in fact) monitor every last photocopy. No way I could do any extra copying if I tried.

3. llonergirl profile image73
    llonergirlposted 5 years ago

They look for honesty. I'm not telling you to say "Oh yes, all the time. Sometimes I don't even realize it" The best answer is of course "No" and something amongst the lines of "I feel its important to remain loyal to the company, and stealing is an act of dishonesty and it should not be tolerated"

By no means am I someone who knows everything about interviewing, I just know what my company trained me on. Most managers are even taught how to tell when potential employees are lying through their teeth.

1. bmcoll3278 profile image77
      bmcoll3278posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have been on my job forever . I am not looking for a job. I just remember being asked that question years ago. BUt thanks for the input.

4. Lipnancy profile image92
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

I remember on one job where I had to do home visits for clients. I changed my cars and cleaned out the old one so it could be sold. So I gathered all my pads and papers from the old car and brought them back into work. At which time, my co-workers laughed hysterically at me for returning the items. All I could say was, "But there not mine."

So I guess I could honestly answer that question with a "No, I have never stolen from my employer."

1. Rhonda_M profile image82
      Rhonda_Mposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In the end, stealing is about intent

2. bmcoll3278 profile image77
      bmcoll3278posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I carry $15,000 in equipment on my truck at all times. I have found satellite dish parts in my garage ,that have been there for years. I had no intent to steal them. I just took them to the office where they they were thrown away for being to old.

5. yssubramanyam profile image62
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

We are biased in given society involuntarily. if a truth is injurious to self or to some one, it becomes compulsive to safe guard the situation.

working