jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How should I dress for a social worker interview?

1. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

How should I dress for a social worker interview?

I am interviewing for a social worker position with a child-care agency.  Does anyone who works in the social work/child care field have suggestions on attire?  Please and thank you.

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 4 years ago

My neighbor is a social worker and she dresses in professional business attire, but a relaxed style.  Nothing inappropriate or too dressy.

1. profile image73
      ElleBeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Okay makes sense - I wasn't sure if a suit would be too overkill or not.  I ended up finding an outfit I'm happy with and it passed the 2nd and 3rd opinion test smile -- Black pencil skirt, floral top and a cropped blue jacket.

3. Neinahpets profile image86
    Neinahpetsposted 4 years ago

From experience (my spouse) in the field wearing professional attire similar to corporate world is just fine.  Suit and tie, pencil skirt with blouse and proper shoes. 

If you will be involved in a child care agency, for males think slacks and a button down shirt (tie optional) and some nice shoes and for women think a nice skirt and blouse or slacks and blouse with flats or heels.

Avoid overdoing the makeup and hairstyles, something professional.  This is not the field to be super creative with your appearance.  You can be an individual without looking like you should be in the artistic world.  Nice prints and bold colors work great with browns and black jackets, slacks and skirts.  Floral blouses are alright as well. 

Keep accessories simple -- if you choose a "loud" piece, leave it as one.  A chunky necklace to accent a simple blouse and one color skirt/pants.  A brightly colored bracelet to stand against black and white clothing, with perhaps a pair of shoes (flats or heels) that match the accessory. 

Avoid multiple earrings, rings and necklaces.  Too much looks cheap in the industry. 

I will say this, if you add bright, happy colors to your outfit you will help children and families that you work with feel very relaxed -- just use moderation.

Going pure black and white can be intimidating if not paired with something to calm the "I'm a corporate fat cat and I own your soul" look.  As said, a colored necklace, shoes or bracelet can set that off.  A bag of a similar color is nice as well.  The less depressing color scheme, the better.... just don't turn into rainbow brite.

I hope this was of some help.

1. profile image73

Makes sense. I actually ran a career dressing service for college students for a year, so I'm pretty confident on most interview dos/donts, but wasn't sure on industry specifics! This definitely gives me some better ideas smile

4. Karen Hellier profile image93
    Karen Hellierposted 4 years ago

I am a social worker by training and I think Neinapets has some great points. For a childcare organization, I would definitely say that dark dress pants and a pretty, colorful blouse or lightweight sweater would be nice. This agency sounds like it works with parents and kids as well so you don't want to appear too businesslike as that would scare families off. Staff doing the interviewing will be looking at that, and at how you will present yourself to families. Good luck to you.

1. profile image73

That was my exact thought! I didn't want them to think I was underdressed for the interview, but I also didn't want to come across as someone who wouldn't be culturally sensitive.  Decided on black skirt, colorful floral top and a blue jacket smile

working