jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you believe that Public sEector Unions should be abolished

1. handymanbill profile image81
    handymanbillposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that Public sEector Unions should be abolished

2. Coyoterainmaker profile image61
    Coyoterainmakerposted 5 years ago

Public sector unions are fine, and in a democracy should always be allowed to continue. There are, in my mind, two different questions:
    1. Why are there always so many "hundreds of thousands" of public sector jobs created?
    2. Why are industrial regulations so different for public sector workers?
    Can I illustrate this from an interpretation of mine from "The Wire"
    Series 1 and 2;  Follows the gangs on the street, the killings and the police forces
    attempts to fight the lawlessness around the situation on the ground.
    Series 3: Follows the docks and the illegal importation of drugs and prostitutes..
    Series 4 and 5: Follows the politicians, the mayors, the police chiefs, the senators and the representatives. Both the last series focused on the people who appoint the public sector, the people who are at the head of the public sector. The only conclusion I can draw from the series as a whole is that the politicians and all the people in the final group are bigger criminals than the criminals. The gangs screw each other: The politicians screw us and the crooks.
    So, do we abolish politicians?

handymanbillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Can't abolish politicians. But when the public sector union members get better benefits and wages then the tax payers and can strike then there is a problem. The good question is the one you asked about why are all theses jobs getting created?

3. profile image72
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hi Bill-

Public sector employees should be entitled to fair wage and working conditions, based reasonably on surveys of other governements and surrounding private sector workers.  Since government workers typically do not get commissions, bonuses, stock options, gifts  or other incentives the private sector does it is not always an easy or direct comparision. 

That said, everyone decides for themselves if the compensation package an employer offers is acceptable.  Some don't like the restrictions on government  remuneration, some find the security, for example,  persuasive.

In the specific case of unions, public sector employees should not be permitted to strike - a key union bargining tool.  They should not be able to take an employee-management dispute out on the public - period.  The public pays its taxes to ensure police, fire, medical and transportation (among many others) services and can not be denied them as part of a contract dispute.

Collective bargining and mediation - but without the ability to strike, is reasonable.

handymanbillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that they should never have the right to strike. School teachers especially it effects so much when they can.