jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think work places should be able to censor workers social media?

1. daisydayz profile image88
    daisydayzposted 5 years ago

Do you think work places should be able to censor workers social media?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Yes, if they are paying for the computers and the bandwidth they have every right.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image85
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

I really don't.

Of course, a workplace has every right to stop workers from using social media on the job, but it is not the employer's place to monitor a worker's activities when said worker is off the clock.

On the other hand, I can understand why an employer wouldn't want its employees badmouthing the employer.

If I found out an employee was badmouthing me, I'd want to know why, and would expect him to raise the issue with me rather than with the internet. And I suppose I'd fire an employee who kept badmouthing me online after I told him to take his issues up with me.

Beyond that, though, I don't think it's any of my business what my employees say online--they can "like" Lindsay Lohan or campaign for whatever political cause they want. Just don't do it on my dime.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was assuming just during the work day and at the work place. I agree you should be able to say what you want about them elsewhere and on your own time

4. profile image70
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hi Daisy-

Absolutely for any company owned computer and equipment.  You should not be using their equipment and work time to engage in any private social activities.

In the case of your private computer and social media, no one should be able to censor your activities (within broad parameters).  If, however, your employer does not like what they read or see, it is within their rights to reevaluate your fit for the job with their company.  An employer is always assessing the staff to keep  the best people for the job and replace the others.

Consider:  You work for AA and your facebook pages are littered with pictures of you getting loaded and falling down drunk.  Or you work for the police department and there are facebook pictures of your involved in illegal activities.

Just because you can put something on facebook, doesn't mean you should.  If the need to express yourself unhindered is more important than your job, then, by all means, carry on.  Just expect to pay the consequences.