jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Fighting obesity with government control?

1. 4FoodSafety profile image75
    4FoodSafetyposted 5 years ago

Fighting obesity with government control?

The New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg whom I normally respect has chosen to propose banning large sweet soft drinks. He wishes to limit the drinks to 16 oz. His issue is the mega drinks beyond the 16 ounces. My question is what is next - you are no longer allowed to order two cheeseburgers?

If government really wished to help, encouraging the use of stairs and eliminating those crazy signs in case of fire use the stairs - it really should read for your health do use the stairs and save electrical consumption too but no, our government tries to limit what we are buying.
    How could govt help?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6738149_f260.jpg

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

the cure for obesity is easy but no one wants to admit it. if someone is fat and lazy, tell them that. if they eat too much, tell them that. there are even stores for overweight people and it bothers me to no end. by making drinks smaller, the only thing that will happen is people will buy 2 of them. i don't mean to sound rude but it's time we stop being so politically correct and get back to saying it how it is.

1. Lipnancy profile image93
      Lipnancyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No,  I think telling people that they are fat and lazy is cruel and immature. I am sure that they already know that they are overweight. I would much rather show them unconditional love and friendship rather than being so mean.

2. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 5 years agoin reply to this

that's very kind of you. it has been working great so far , it's like telling a repeat junkie "it's not your fault"sorry if i feel differently

3. Lipnancy profile image93
      Lipnancyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually as a Social Worker who practiced for 23 years, it is the same concept with junkies. They cannot be helped until they want to be.

3. Lipnancy profile image93
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

The only cure for obesity is for the overweight person to come to an understanding of why they are eating too much. This work can be done in time. If you really want to help an overweight person.... just love the way that they are.

As for Blumberg in the government, Do they  really think people wont just buy 2 or 3 of the smaller sodas?

4. JamesGrantSmith profile image61
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

This is silly, ketotic state can be used for weight loss, so even if fat people wont quit burgers etc they can still use weight. Even this aside people will still find ways around the rules, and thus it doesn't matter if they ban it or not, people will still get burgers and drink soft drinks. Just like they drank alcohol is prohibition.

working