jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is it easier to work hard if you are working for yourself?

1. leroy64 profile image82
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

Is it easier to work hard if you are working for yourself?

A common complaint of business owners is that people are not willing to work; but, I have seen people who habitually work their butts off only to be let go during economic difficulties.  Is there a difference between an employers perception of work and an employees perception of work?

2. profile image0
    apostoloskritikosposted 5 years ago

I'd say that working hard has mostly to do with whether you are doing something you like or not. If you are enjoying your work, who your boss is might be irrelevant smile

3. profile image0
    screamingposted 5 years ago

I believe a business owner works harder to protect his or her investment. I've alsofound if an employeee loves their job they work just as hard as me. Unfortunately during tough economic times, small businesses have  no choice but to lay people off. When i've been faced with that situation I always find my employee work elsewhere before laying them off. In hopes they will come back once the economic times improve.

1. leroy64 profile image82
      leroy64posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I was hoping for an owners viewpoint.

4. zoeyy profile image58
    zoeyyposted 5 years ago

Ofcourse can't generalise things...but mostly employers always have the notion that employees do 'nothing' and have 'nothing' in life but work!
    And employee most of the time thinks the same!

5. writeyourwrongs profile image49
    writeyourwrongsposted 5 years ago

As an employed individual I used to always bunk off wherever possible as I was in a job I hated.

Moving to a job I enjoy and self employment my first assumptions would be that my motivation levels would increase dramatically. To a point this is true, but I must admit from time to time I still have to turn all boss-like on myself and say
    "John! Get back to work!"

6. profile image54
    sherry2019posted 5 years ago

It all depends on personality and how people view their current work positions. Otherwise, entrepreneurial persons are more fruitful when they work for themselves than others while people who prefer working under an employer are more fruitful than when they operate on their own. But from a general perception you are likely to take your job more seriously.

7. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

Great question leroy64.  To answer your first question, YES!  Now on to the rest of it.  I totally agree and was a victim of working extremely hard, doing the most in the office, training everyone including management only to feel my work was not appreciated and once I completed my Masters program, they got rid of me.  I think an employer's perception of work can be the same of employee's perceptions, but I also think they allow their inadequacies get in the way of leading a team effectively.