jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Are you employed within the field of your college degree?

1. KayDeeJay profile image61
    KayDeeJayposted 5 years ago

Are you employed within the field of your college degree?

If not, why? I am working on writing an article based around this, thanks!

2. Ellana317 profile image78
    Ellana317posted 5 years ago

No ma'am.  I wish I were though.  I majored in Criminal Justice because I love investigations and such but I am currently an auditor stuck behind a desk...insert sad face here.  LOL...

KayDeeJayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering! Could you tell me why you ended up in a different field?
      I am a recent college grad and I am finding it very difficult to find a job in my field. I am interested in hearing other peoples stories!

2. Ellana317 profile image78
      Ellana317posted 5 years agoin reply to this

There weren't many opportunities for me in the area where I lived.  Once, I got very close to being a gaming agent but they didn't think the job fit me as I was to "prissy."  Other than that, people with more experienced were chosen over me instead.

3. sandonia profile image84
    sandoniaposted 5 years ago

Nope. I have made an active decision to not be employed in the area of my major.

Thanks for answering! Could you tell me why you decided not to work in your field?

2. sandonia profile image84
      sandoniaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I realized partly through my program of study that my passions were elsewhere, but I didn't want to change and redo a lot of other coursework. Hence, I just went ahead and finished.

4. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

Yes, I am. My degree is in Criminology and I work in Community Corrections as a supervisor. I enjoy my work even though about a year ago I started down the path to a new career in healthcare. With a new baby and moving to a new state, that has been placed on hold...possibly indefinitely. I have always enjoyed working with criminals and addictions, never a dull moment.

1. Ellana317 profile image78
      Ellana317posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Never a dull moment, you can say that again.  LOL...

2. KayDeeJay profile image61

It is always nice to hear success stories such as yours! Thanks for sharing!

5. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

Yes.  I earned a civil engineering degree several years ago and have used it ever since. Very often I apply the concepts and principles that I learned in college to projects at work. The degree has served me well so far.

6. Lipnancy profile image93
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

I was employed in my field that I received my college degree in for 23 years. Even now that I work at home as a marketer, I can still say that use my degree every day.

7. FitnezzJim profile image82
    FitnezzJimposted 5 years ago

Yes indeed.  Twice lucky at that even.  First degree (BS) in mathematics and second (MS) in physics.  Both have contributed off and on over the past 33 years to my work, and I have every expectation that they will continue to do so.  For scientists and anyone working in developing or maturing technologies, both degrees are sort of like getting the right tools into your toolbox to do whatever tasks might come up, they will always be useful.

8. WildRoseBeef profile image74
    WildRoseBeefposted 5 years ago

I am, for sure.  I took a bachelor of agriculture degree in university (which remains unfinished due to financial issues and a particular course I don't think I could ever pass) and now work at a farm and ranch store, a store that has items that is needed in a farm/ranch operation.  It's a store that is Alberta-based, and one that is directed to the farming/agricultural community, not anywhere else. 

I also intend on getting far more directly involved in agriculture by starting up a farm of my own in a few years or so. So I've stayed in my field of study because it's what I'm passionate about and remain as such. smile

working