jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why do they call the clock where you punch your time card called a "time" clock?

1. JulianaDragoness profile image77
    JulianaDragonessposted 5 years ago

Why do they call the clock where you punch your time card called a "time" clock?

Aren't all clocks "time" clocks?

2. kgarcia1113 profile image73
    kgarcia1113posted 5 years ago

There are a lot of random questions that are similar, but this one actually does have an answer. Time clocks use to print or punch a specific time on a card known as a time card. So not only was it a clock but also "time printer."

Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Your question does make you think though, seems repetitive.

3. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

kgarcia1112 is correct.  The original "time clocks" had an attached unit that you would punch in with.  This special clock stamped the time you started and the time you stopped.  Since it was used to record the time you worked it was called a time clock.

Now there are more advanced versions of this same concept.  You may swipe a card rather than having a long sheet which manually marks things.   The computer hooked up to the new time clocks records what used to be stamped out.

1. profile image52
      Jack Masonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've always wondered that myself. Most of the companies I've worked at don't have a punch clock. Very informative. http://www.timeclockoutlet.com/ctgry49- … locks.aspx