Is money the right criterion for success in Life?

1. Goodpal profile image90
    Goodpalposted 5 years ago

Is money the right criterion for success in Life?

Money is important in life but is not everything. There are other things equally important such as health, relations, family, education, self-worth, peace of mind, and so on. Then why people place so much importance on money as a measure of success?

2. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

Hi Goodpal. That's a good question and a difficult question.

The other things that you mentioned are not mutually exclusive with money. That's especially true for health care. That's because we Americans spend 1/6 of our GDP on health care.

Back in the 1990s, my diabetic father had severely impaired circulation in one leg. He went to one of the nations top medical facilities for an angioplasty. The surgeons inserted a metal stent into the cleared artery. The operation gave him several years of improved quality of life.

If he didn't have top-notch health insurance coverage, the insurance company would not have paid their fair share of the bill. They would have used "pre-existing condition" or "experimental treatment" as a lame excuse.

Devastating medical bills are responsible for a high percentage of bankruptcies in the USA. Many people feel the need to be wealthy, because of the prospect of losing their homes if they suffer from and survive a catastrophic illness in the future.

Being moderately wealthy is not just about conspicuous consumption, or about looking down one's nose at the less fortunate. It's about feeling secure.

3. BlissfulWriter profile image68
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

No, money is not a criteria for success.   There are many other more important things such as moral values, ethics, social responsibility, human relationships, etc. 

Although a certain amount of money is needed for survival.   Once that amount is reach so that one has enough food, then any additional money does not make one happier nor more successful.   

I had attempted to any the question of money and happiness in a hub that I wrote about it ... … -Happiness