jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Job Experience

1. Autumn Vines profile image61
    Autumn Vinesposted 5 years ago

Job Experience

I have less than 1 month of job experience. I have a high school diploma, but no college degree. I am trying very hard to find a job that will hire me.

Do employers prefer that you have job experience?
    How much job experience is too little and how much is too much?
    Do fast food restraunts require job experience or is a food handlers license enough?
    Do employers consider volunteer work as job experience? If so, is 6 months enough?

Also, any advice would be appreciated.

2. KevinTimothy profile image81
    KevinTimothyposted 5 years ago

My advice would be to (while you're still young) pinpoint what it is you're passionate about, and figure out a way to turn it into income. Employers play a dirty game when it comes to this "experience" stuff. As you may have already noticed - even inexperienced people with college degrees have to play the game, too.

I'd suggest sacrificing and taking a gig (for now) to bring in some cash flow. But ultimately, I would keep my eyes set on what my passion is and turn it into a service to the general public. Don't worry with those clowns....pave your own way and become the job creator (and not the seeker).

3. Rhonda_M profile image86
    Rhonda_Mposted 5 years ago

One way to get experience is to volunteer. Through volunteering, you can learn new things and make contacts. In fact, volunteering/unpaid/ placements/internships paid and unpaid have  become  part of the  journey of 1,000 miles to finding your path to right employment. 

As for the experience game, yes employers always say they want experience. They hold it as a selection criterion to screen you out. they have so many applicants.

With a graduate degree in my field I still run up against the experience factor. They can pick who they want. What you have to do is demonstrate transferable skills, good attitude, reliability, intelligence and likeability. Perhaps there are things you did in highschool (extra curricular activities) that can demonstrate for example a basic set of interpersonal skills or the ability to work with others. I mean how hard can it be to flip burgers or make sandwiches or coffee.

I offer the following suggestions:

*tell everyone you know, friends and family that you are looking. You never know when one day your friend's workplace will need someone and rather than going through a lengthy cattle call hiring procedure ( a pain for most employers), you can be in their face.

*In your community Investigate internships/co-op/volunteer programs geared for youth.

*Consider additional schooling, especially programs that might have placements or co-ops.

4. kathleenkat profile image81
    kathleenkatposted 5 years ago

Yes; employers consider volunteer work as experience! Anything you have done, that adds to your skills, should be put on a resume. Even if you are not getting paid, its still work. Girl Scouts, DECA, ROTC...any extra curricular activities are relevant.

No, fast food restaurants typically do not require experience for entry level positions. Getting a food handler's permit will show that you know how to work safely, cleanly, and healthy; which is most important when preparing food.

Good luck!

5. Autumn Vines profile image61
    Autumn Vinesposted 5 years ago

All of your responses have been very helpful. Thank you.

6. AlexK2009 profile image93
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

Obviously employers would prefer someone who can do the job without training.  They pick up  workers from places that hire those without experience.

It is not just the experience that counts but what you learn and how you use what you learned to sell yourself. 

It is a good  idea to review what you have learned regularly.

You have a month's experience. What have you learned?

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

If you are young, no one expects you to have a lengthy resume. There is really no such thing as too much job experience, but you don't need a resume that is longer than one page. Fast food restaurants and retailers do not require job experience. They merely want someone that they think is dependable, won't call in sick, will get to work on time, and will work hard. That all comes down to how one handles the interview. You can always add volunteer work at the bottom of your resume; something that says, "I also did volunteer work at..."

working