jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can you get experience for a job, if you can not get hired?

1. momster profile image61
    momsterposted 5 years ago

How can you get experience for a job, if you can not get hired?

Experience is hard to get if no one hires.

2. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

I would suggest trying to work part time within a field in order to gain experience. If this is not possible, then volunteer some time each week somewhere to gain experience. Many companies will hire volunteers.

3. Cristale profile image85
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Volunteering is a great answer yeager, but also some times it just involves meeting the right person at the right time. Meeting that one person that understands and is willing to give you that foot in the door.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

We are at a point in our history, where employers do not want to train. As many know I have been unemployed for 22 years. Yet, because I am not an expert in Social Networking (I do not use Twitter) or some piece of software, they reject me because that and because of my age.

But reading the classified ads shows that employers want people who can hit the ground running as the saying goes. I think part of the problem is that we are at a state in time, when many bosses are relatively young and think they know it all and expect their employees to be at the same skill level. I was interviewed for a Support Desk job. The first question was, "You do know SQL code?" My answer was, I know what itis but I do not know how to write it. That requirement was not in the ad. They thanked me for coming in--a waste of my time and their time. Some jobs demand too much. One law firm wanted a computer person to help people with software problems, (there was a legal conflict because of my prior job so I could not be hired) but each week they kept adding stuff to the aid, trouble shoot server, maintain copiers and fax machines, help employees with laptops and smart phones, maintain office telephone system. I wrote them and said if offered I would not take the job because they are taking the jobs for two or three people and combining it into one. The next week, the job requirements were much less. To get back to the original question is that you just have to beat the bushes, learn what you can on your on and take the first job you can get. Even if it is a lousy place to work, you will gain some experience and maybe make some good contacts.