jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

At what age should you involve your child in extra curricular activities and why

1. green tea-cher profile image59
    green tea-cherposted 7 years ago

At what age should you involve your child in extra curricular activities and why?

What do you think is an appropriate age to enroll children in music and organized sports or groups?

2. acharltongriffin profile image39
    acharltongriffinposted 7 years ago

My sisters and I were involved in extra-curriculars as soon as we were 1st graders (i.e. karate, Girl Scouts), but that's strictly because we showed an interest.  I don't know any adults who are willing to be thrusted into things they might not be interested in.  The same consideration should be extended towards children.

Long story short, ask the child what they want to do, help them decide if it's worth exploring, and encourage the experience.  Understand that they might like the idea of slamming piano keys or hitting a t-ball more than actual participation, also.

3. profile image50
    meghancsmithnjposted 7 years ago

I believe that music or other activities that involve lots of cognition should be started around 5. Yet, some sports can begin as young as 2...swim lessons with mom/dad, or even 3-4 years of age for things like soccer.  But if I had to choose an exact age, I would say 5 for everything.

4. jj200 profile image78
    jj200posted 7 years ago

It depends on a few things: culture, child's sociability, family's access to resources and parents' knowledge of what the child can already do well.

Each child develops socially, cognitively and physically a little different. If you thrust them into an environment that is foreign or overly stressful for them, they will not flourish or benefit from the activity. It's good to let them sample lots of different things if possible and see what they come back enthusiastic about. I would recommend starting before the child begins school as a way to ease them into the concept of structured days that make up classroom life and perhaps to help them socially.

As a parent, as long as you are not pushing the child into an activity, I'd say enroll them in whatever and however many you want. Extracurriculars are a HUGE part of college admittance these days, so the child's enrollment in various activities will set them up for success. Even if they quit the ones you picked, they may then choose their own because they will have learned a *lifestyle* that includes organized social activities, which they will likely continue to pursue throughout life. And in my opinion, that's a good thing.

5. EmmaMedu profile image78
    EmmaMeduposted 7 years ago

I think the earliest age for some extra activities is 4. The child has already developed some social skills and is able to follow some simple instructions.

And, at the same time the child has become physically stabile and ready enough to be engaged in some sports activities.
    Learning languages can also start when the child reaches 4.

It all depends on the child. Some children will be ready with 3 and some with 5, but 4 is some average age for the child to be included in extra curricular activities.

6. sharanya dinesh profile image60
    sharanya dineshposted 7 years ago

their is no age  criteria per Se. If your child excels in something instinctively from a young age then enroll the child to that course.My daughter is spontaneous with music, she is learning classical music from age 3!!
    else wait and see what interests your child. If the child has a lot of free time on hand , is getting restless, encourage reading and creating your stories or plays and games!!

working