jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What do you write in a "personal statement" for a job application?

1. Imogen French profile image85
    Imogen Frenchposted 5 years ago

What do you write in a "personal statement" for a job application?

I always find this section the most difficult on job applications. I want to put across the reasons why I think they should employ me, but  don't want to sound like I am being big-headed. Do you have a good strategy or any advice on content and style for this kind of task?

2. SidKemp profile image93
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

You're headed in the right direction. Here are two good options: 1) Be very specific about one aspect of your personality or your high skill level that you think would be very useful. Don't boast about everything; be very practical about one thing. 2) Mention an interest or activity in your life that relates to the job. For example, if you're applying to work at a sporting good store, talk about the sport you love most. Show them that you'll be an inspired and genuinely interested salesperson that way.

1. Imogen French profile image85
      Imogen Frenchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thank you Sid, that sounds like good advice

2. SidKemp profile image93
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome Imogen. Feels free to look at my hub on creating a 5-year career plan, and to toss me some other questions about job hunting. I'm planning to write more hubs on the topic.

3. safiq ali patel profile image72
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

Tell them why you want the job and why you believe you should be the chosen candidate. Be imaginative and even creative but try and be truthful as well.

working