jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is there a (free) service that checks plagiarism?

1. mbyL profile image82
    mbyLposted 5 years ago

Is there a (free) service that checks plagiarism?

I am finishing a very long paper and I would like to check it. It could be that I forgot to give credits to a source or so and I want to make this sure, before I hand it in to my advisor and he checks it.

2. RNMSN profile image90
    RNMSNposted 5 years ago

theres grammerly.com...I used that one in grad school/and actually theres a lot that are free...grammerly checker is another one/

3. Tricia1000 profile image70
    Tricia1000posted 5 years ago

I am impressed with paperrater.com and can recommend it.  But remember that when plagiarism is checked for free, the database might not be as comprehensive as a paid for plagiarism service.  Plagiarism is not only about referencing sources but also about paraphrasing.

4. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

Yes, you can use Copyscape.  I have found it to be very helpful.  You can sign up for alerts.  It is free.  It doesn't catch everything, but is concise and gives live links to the found sites.  Go to their website, copyscape.com.

1. Rhonda_M profile image85
      Rhonda_Mposted 5 years agoin reply to this

copyscape will catch anything that is copied from the web

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

There are a few online sources, but they don't check for proper citations and properly quoting sources.  Just do a search for plagiarism checkers and see what's out there.  FYI - at least one of them stores your paper in its system and has it available for future checkers. I don't know how I feel about that - with proper citations, etc., the work and the research is your property.

One program will tell you the ratio of the paper that comes from other sources, compared to the ratio of original writing.  But it's up to you to make certain you cited things properly, paraphrased appropriately and referenced things to a good bibliography.

Kudos to you for caring enough to check if it's done the right way!  I teach at a university, and far too many students do not take that seriously, and are not fluent in citations.

6. oldhorse profile image67
    oldhorseposted 5 years ago

You can Google key phrases from your document.

7. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Just google free plagiarism checker and you will get a ton of them.

working