jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Starting eCommerce Website - Hotel Bookings & Reservations

1. nicregi profile image77
    nicregiposted 5 years ago

Starting eCommerce Website - Hotel Bookings & Reservations

My partner and I got some crazy idea today and we decided to start an eCommerce website. Imagine Agoda.com or Booking.com. We will be 'selling' rooms online just like the both with some twists etc. I know there are probably tons of CMS around but which is better in your opinion? Some says WordPress, others are Drupal and Joomla. Are there anything else you could recommend for this?

My IT skills is 7-8 out of 10 if you are wondering.

Please advise and thank you.

2. Martin-ddp profile image88
    Martin-ddpposted 5 years ago

I would go with wordpress. Simply because of the amount of free plugins & templates for it. But at the end of the day you must remember the hardest part of these sites is to get people to use them. A lot of people can build them but to make money from them is a whole different story.

nicregiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi there. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, WordPress is one of my choices smile

3. kev8 profile image68
    kev8posted 5 years ago

Built a hotel booking site and launched it, dingadeal.com . It is tough work getting people to part with their money. We built on .net and it took too long, would recommend getting something simple off the ground using a CMS, if you are making money you can scale up. I would recommend reading this blog, I wish I read it before I started out on the adventure.
    http://www.startuplessonslearned.com
    Martin is right, customer acquisition will probably be your biggest challenge with so much competition.

Thanks for the reply. Certainly will look on that. Appreciate that buddy!

4. csgibson profile image70
    csgibsonposted 5 years ago

I like your idea, but your competition is pretty stiff.  I have a travel website about Colombia if you need a place to advertise.

Hi there. yes competitions is definitely stiff. Well, it all starts with a dream right? I mean we are not born rich and therefore, I believe it is time to stand up and say "hey, I should start it up!"

Thanks for your offer as well!

working