jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How to build writing skills?

1. anoop786 profile image59
    anoop786posted 4 years ago

How to build writing skills?

2. DreamerMeg profile image89
    DreamerMegposted 4 years ago

Try Peter Elbow's book on "Writing with Power". he recommends a lot of different techniques to get you started and improving. The best way of building writing skills is by writing. Practise every day.

I used to make a 20 mile drive to work through heavy traffic and would work out a description of my drive which I then wrote down longhand in a notepad as soon as I got into work (no computers in those days). It might have been a description of the weather or the traffic or the road.

When my children were going to sleep, they liked to have someone stay beside them and the bedroom looked out over the sea, so I composed sentences describing the sea at that time. I was able to use those snippets later in other writing.Sometimes, I could not get a good description of what I saw but I would write it down as best I could and maybe a few days later, the words I wanted would come to  me and I could edit it.

In work, some of the people I worked with had English degrees. I used to look at how they wrote and try and emulate their writing, in my own way.

1. anoop786 profile image59
      anoop786posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks DreamerMeg for your answer

3. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

Read, write and read some more. You must be a good reader to be a good writer according to many well known authors. You must practice your writing every day.  I read Stephen King's book ON WRITING.  He has many good suggestions. Like you I am very much in the learning mode, but I can see myself improve the more I practice.

4. Steve Burgess profile image60
    Steve Burgessposted 4 years ago

Your writing career depends on Basic English language skills: vocabulary, grammar, punctuation, and an understanding of the various styles and forms of writing. Develop your habits of reading and writing, if you are shaky in these skills. Think of what you need to do to accomplish your goals.