Writing Skills - How did you acquire?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Sekharg profile image61
    Sekhargposted 13 years ago

Today I received an email from hubpages congratulating me on reaching 1000 views. They also included a link for hubpage success stories. When I went and checked the link, they have listed several people who are making very good money ($1500/month) writing on hubpages.

Some people have been here for 4 years and others as little as 8 months.

Do these people have any training on how to write?
    I see some people cranking out 10 hubs a day.

I was wondering how they are doing it.

Is it a snow ball effect over the period of time? (except for exceptional people)

I know some people have writing background (like journalism). For them it is easy to come with ideas to write I guess.

Did you guys/gals gone through any training/coaching on writing?

Thanks,
    Sekhar

1. sarovai profile image74
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't. May be inborn.Practice makes the man perfect in anything. smile

2. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sekhar,

Some people actually may have articles written and they might be posting it, or some actually do 30 hubs in 30 days or more challenge. I am actually inspired by some hubber's motivation to do the same.

With practice writing becomes faster and fluid.

3. profile image0
      Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write about what's inside me. I think a lot of us do. But yes, I have a writing background. My undergrad is in English with a minor in communications, and I've been a writer/editor for 20 years, most of it as a full-time employee, with only the past six years being freelance.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

You DON'T need any writing experience to make money here. You DO need to be willing to learn. Most successful hubbers have written guides on how to make money, use keywords and get clicks.

If you can use good grammar and punctuation and know how to explain things simply, you can make money here.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I have an English degree and taught lit and writing skills for years. These experiences have DEF made me a better writer and a much FASTER writer. lol

4. warchild75 profile image65
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

10 hubs a day,im not sure there is enough hours in a day to write 10 good quality hubs,maybe if they were working from home and already had some ideas they could crank out 6 or 7 but 10,Not likely!!,i have no writing skills but am doing alright just by picking stuff up as i go along

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've written more than 10 articles in a day several times.

1. J Sunhawk profile image67
        J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sure would like to see them.

1. habee profile image92

Most were sold to a publisher, but I have hubs here that were written in groups of ten a day. If it's on a topic I know well, I can write a 500 or 600-word hub/article in about 20 minutes.

5. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

One does not need writing experience to be a good writer! However, a good education, and some experience under your belt does help tremendously!

I was awarded "Future Writer's of America" award in College! However, I find the most useful information in helping a person write better: life experiences, knowing proper English, reading as much as you can, and being creative! Some of the most successful writers, never had a formal education past high school.

I find it impossible for anyone to produce 10 hubs a day. Sure, if you aren't writing quality! Anyone could produce several hubs a day, but who would want to read them? I think a person can produce a couple a day! I think quality should be more focused on than quantity.

There are some days I write two hubs, then other times it may take me a few days to write one. It all depends on what you are writing about! A product review may not take nearly as long as a hub on "Hitler's Rise And Fall." Quite a bit of research and reading is sometimes needed!

There's quite a bit of useful information on the net about writing, however, if you search around on hubs you will find some hubbers have written about the subject of writing--some of these hubs have very good tips! I can't give specific links, but you can do a quick search on the site and locate them.

Good luck!

6. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have to agree.  I CAN write four hubs in a day, but I couldn't keep that pace up.

Over thirteen years, I have averaged about one web page article per day.  Some days I did nothing, some months I did very little, but overall that has been my pace.

It's enough. I really could not do much more.

Writing? I learned to write by reading.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I learned to write at school.  Then did nothing.

Along came the internet.  And forums, chatrooms, etc.

Now, that may not sound much of an English course, but, the thing with forum and chatroom hopping is that you learn how to make a point to all levels of people.  How to connect.

I am hoping that the style I acquired will serve me equally well in what are basically just longer posts.  And I don't mean blog - I mean selling a topic, idea, thought to a reader.

Sorry if I sound a bit up myself.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I found out that my writing improved by reading good books.

1. habee profile image92

UW has the right idea. Reading quality literature and non-fiction pieces is one of the best ways to improve your writing skills.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A person could start with some hubs right here at HP.

Habee is great smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Essay-Writing-H … e-an-Essay

1. habee profile image92

Oh, thanks, RB!

Your welcome smile

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

That is so true.  I am finishing a collection of essays by Gore Vidal, not only is it an educational writing style, it is also a fountain of inspiration.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate his politics, but I love his writing. His son, also.

I have truly enjoyed the book. Even the essays about subjects I am not interested in, were worth the time to read.

9. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

I read a lot before but didn't really write except for the occasional letter but in the last year or so I've had to write appeal documents so gradually I've started to just write for fun and gone on from there. So far the writing journey has been great fun and everyday I learn something new and I try something new as well. We all learn to write in different ways and the best way is to just start writing about anything you enjoy or like and just go from there. Once you start - You won't stop! Good luck and best wishes in your writing!

10. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

No training.  No experience.  I read a lot.

Desperation and time helps (I was unemployed when I started). 

I don't think I could write even 10 simple sales hubs in one day, unless all the research was done before hand and I had notes to work from.  It takes me a couple of hours for those, and as much as 10 solid hours for a good "how to" hub with pics and such.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)