How to improve writing skills?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Reves-diary profile image66
    Reves-diaryposted 11 years ago

It is certainly the nucleus of any hub as people will appreciate according to its merit. Without having better writing skills, it is quite impossible for new comers like me will get substantial coverage.

So what you think? Share your views if you like to.

1. im28beyond profile image61
      im28beyondposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you need to watch more English films, read more hubs, join forums, talk to as many english person as you can. sometimes I write things just as I talk.

Reves-diaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your reply im28beyond. I do follow all these things. Hopefully my writing skills will be much better than it was few years back smile

1. Greekgeek profile image77
          Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the 90s, I would've said, "find a good roleplaying MUSH" (realtime, text-based storytelling game). There's nothing like having to write in realtime, interacting with skilled writers, to force you to learn!

My own skills have atrophied since I stopped doing that. Sadly, literary MUSHes have largely disappeared, although I see the old Lord of the Rings Plaza forum that used to collect a lot of good writers is still going gangbusters.

Also, grab free eBooks of classic English writers like Jane Austin and read, read, read.

Greekgeek thanks for your information. I will try out one day smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
              couturepopcafeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"It is certainly the nucleus of any hub as people will appreciate according to its merit. Without having better writing skills, it is quite impossible for new comers like me to get substantial coverage."

"So what do you think? Share your views if you would like to"

(Technically, the word to is a preposition and English does not allow for ending a sentence in a preposition. It is used often in the common vernacular however so has become accepted, to a large degree, in writing, especially in fiction dialog where just about anything is accepted).

"Thanks for your reply im28beyond. I do follow all these things. Hopefully my writing skills will be much better than they were a few years back"

(Here the plural subject word skills does not match the singular adverb form it was. If you had used singular skill, then it was would be correct. "My writing skill was" or "My writing skills were".

"Greekgeek thanks for your information. I will try them out one day"

Hope this helps you. I've made the corrections in bold italics.

Conjugating verbs is the most difficult aspect of learning any language, IMO. Remember to keep singular and plural references consistent.

Thanks a lot couturepopcafe for pointing out all those grammatical mistakes. Umm I hope I have said it properly.

You have, most excellently. What's your native language?

My native language is Bengali and second one is English smile

2. TheInspiredLife profile image68
    TheInspiredLifeposted 11 years ago

You have to write to improve your writing skills! You can learn grammar rules by studying as you go, but you have to write if you want your skills to improve. Don't just write hubs. Write a journal. Write a blog. Read something and write a response to it. Write letters to others (even if you never mail them). Reading is very important as well, especially if you can read hubs and books related to improving your English, grammar tips, etc.

Do a search for "grammar games" and you will find a lot of great sites with free online games that will help you get a better grasp on how words flow together in the English language (without just giving you complicated rules). Other than playing games like this and challenging yourself, read and write whenever and whatever possible.

I'm not sure that listening to others speak in a casual manner would be a lot of help. Many people speak differently than they write, and there are some speech habits you would not want to implement into your writing. It depends who you are listening to I guess!

Thanks for TheInspiredLife for your useful suggestion.

3. Docmo profile image89
    Docmoposted 11 years ago

I learnt to write primarily from reading voraciously. The more good books you read the better writing skills develop. Read wise and vast. Read classics and modern literature if you get the time.

While I didn't pay much attention to grammar teaching at school ( it was boring,  I have since picked up cues and clues through reading others work.

IF you're looking for ideas on creative writing, there are many great hubs by other hubbers on how to write. I have written some hubs on writing tips  and on building a vocabulary as well.

Hubpages has a lot of good grammar and spelling advice too.

The greatest skill in improving one's English is to ask- you have already asked, so you're well on your way to become a good , nay, a great writer!

Great advice. Reading.

2. Reves-diary profile image66

Thanks Docmo for your useful advice.

4. whizcreed profile image59
    whizcreedposted 11 years ago

Here are some tips:
    1. Dont try to sell while you write, write the way you like it, and it will make sense for someone.
    2. Understand your target audience you would not want to write a cooking article with complexity of a University newsletter.
    3. Write a lot, write anything you feel like, this will make you more open to express thoughts in form of writing.
    4. Consider some technical tools to analyse your content. [redacted]

I hope it helps.. smile

5. erorantes profile image47
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

Sometimes , it is not the writer's mind that it does not know. It is the devices 's touch screen speed is to gentle or too fast and sumit without giving the finger a chance to stop. There are other reasons too. Every individual knows.

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I have a few ideas to help with writing and grammar skills.
    Watch TV with the mute on and closed caption  in English.
    Use free writing and grammar sites such as Grammarly, Paperater.com, Grammarcheck.me,
    and many others.
    Go to adult education class at local school or volunteer organization to improve skills.
    We all make mistakes and I for one,update and find silly mistakes after having a hub up for a while.
    Good luck.

7. Dipali Ingle profile image39
    Dipali Ingleposted 4 years ago

Study grammar, practice grammar

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)