jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best advice you have for coping with a night shift job (for example,

1. AnniesHealthTalk profile image89
    AnniesHealthTalkposted 3 years ago

What is the best advice you have for coping with a night shift job (for example, 7 PM to 7 AM)?

2. Rodricklewis profile image42
    Rodricklewisposted 3 years ago

Learn to sleep during the day, or get better hours. When I had a nightshift job I hated everything about it, so one day I ask the big boss to change my hours after 2 years of hell and with no hesitation it was done.

3. Writer David profile image79
    Writer Davidposted 3 years ago

I worked 11PM-7AM for 24 years.  I actually liked working those hours.  But, the hours didn't like me.  I had trouble sleeping, as you likely have also.  I took some advice from someone who had worked mid-shits far longer than I had.  He said to get aluminum foil and put it all around the inside of your windows in the room that you will be sleeping.  The wife didn't like that.  So, she would take them out during the day before I went to sleep (usually around 4PM).  You need quiet time during your sleep time.  That's not usually feasible if you have kids.  So, what I did was opt for white noise.  I would put a small fan in my room at high speed.  At first, the fan kept me awake.  But, I got used to it quickly.  That drowned out most noise and I slept like a baby. 

If you going to stay on that night shift, your body has to adjust.  It's going to take some time to do that.  Best of luck to you.

1. Katrina Speights profile image76
      Katrina Speightsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I went the black out curtains route with a box fan. Loved the hours as well.