jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Has your education paid off?

1. Pro Shell profile image74
    Pro Shellposted 3 years ago

Has your education paid off?

2. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12134560_f260.jpg

Yes indeed; and although it has paid me back significantly financially, more profoundly it has taught me how to critical think, to question the status quo, to dig for the real story beyond the deceptive headlines, I have learned and applied invaluable psychological principles, yet most importantly it has taught me how to minimize my time dedicated to mindless work and positioned me to enjoy life most profoundly with family, friends and others before it has past...

3. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Mine has.  It was definitely worth it.  Don't listen to anyone who tells you you don't need to go to college.  You do.

4. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Most definitely, my education has paid off. Getting a quality primary and secondary education gave me the basics which determines success in high school. Getting the basics got me into undergrad and grad school, which led to training, then to good job experience, certification and licensure, then to starting my own business. So yeah, I would say I reap the benefits of a good education and highly recommend it to secure success in the future. But of course, it depends on your career aspirations and major. Choose wisely in order to make a good living.

5. Zelkiiro profile image94
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Financially? Heeeelllllll no. But, being an English major, I've gotten to read books I would've never even heard of, let alone pick up, I've gotten to make some great friends, I've learned all kinds of things that have been interesting, I've improved my writing skills (slightly--there is no hope for me), I had some truly wonderful professors whose classes I would take just to have an excuse to hang out with them, and I probably would've gone insane staying at home with no prospects for a job for all those years, anyway.

One of my fondest college memories is going to the local Japanese restaurant, Sakura, with Noji-sensei and the rest of the Japanese III/IV classes, ordering from the hibachi grill and, in general, having an awesome time. And Sensei paid the whole bill, because she was cool like that. Aw man, we had all kinds of fun in Japanese class, cracking jokes and writing/translating weird sentences, and whatnot. Good times.

And of course, I loved all the great discussions and debates we'd have in our senior seminar class with Dr. Marshall, and our final was a 20+ page paper that I was more than happy to take on. It's one of the only times I was willing to go way, way over the minimum because my topic was so cool. Dr. Marshall even brought in his guitar and played some John Lennon tunes one day for...some reason, but that's interesting in its own way.

So many fun classes. I loved taking two semesters of Theater, there was that one class where we studied thrillers and horror novels, I took so many classes on Postmodernism because it's just endlessly fascinating, I copped out and took Astronomy and Meteorology for my sciences because they're the only sciences I can handle (and they were fun, too!), and all the classic authors you can stomach.

So yeah. Maybe I didn't pick a major that would net me financial gain, but now that I've done it, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

6. liesl5858 profile image89
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

Yes, definitely and thanks to my Dad and Mum for their encouragement. My education helped me fund the education of my younger siblings too. Without my education, I would not be writing here today because there is no way I pick up my English on the streets. English is a hard subject but going to school had taught me very good English and I am certainly using it now in my daily life. People ask me every time where I learnt my English, I told them in my own country(Philippines). I went to school from Primary to High School then to College. In my country, education is the only way to better ones' future and my education certainly paid off in many ways. Education is not free as well in my country so we pay for it, there is no government loan or grants, our parents shoulder the tuition fees and every book we need but the Filipino always find a way to study and get a better life.

7. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

yes, my education had been paid off when my hubby paid for both of us while we work

8. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Always. My graduate degree made it possible for me to skip over unpaid internships, and go directly to paid staff jobs in my field.

Because I got a liberal arts degree, I learned how to think, while many of my friends in other degree tracks were learning what to think. One of my bosses told me that I was the fastest thinker he'd every worked with, and that he loved to watch me in meetings, because while everyone was complaining about the immediate consequences of any change, I was quietly jotting down the long term implications, and could often chime in about how some changes might benefit us in the long run.

The most important way my education has paid off is that it has allowed me to work for myself, rather than someone else. I no longer answer to a boss. I do what I want, and reap 100% of the reward for any ideas I come up with.

Unlike some of the others who have responded to this question, I came out of school with very little debt. I lived with my parents until I finished my undergrad degree, and got a scholarship to grad school. I did carry a large amount of credit card debt from school, but I eventually paid that off, and it gave me a great credit rating, and a healthy fear of running up debts again.

9. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

My education from the mystery schools has paid off. That's where I learned the most valuable information. Nothing is more important than finding out who you really are beyond all the concepts and programming.

working