jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How should social media handle death?

1. American_Choices profile image77
    American_Choicesposted 2 years ago

How should social media handle death?

Life has certainties and death is one of them and yet I see no provision out on social media to notify others the person no longer walks the earth.
    Many celebrities are self-evident but here on HubPages and out on Twitter how will death be symbolized/notified? Does Facebook have a procedure/symbol to denote this?
    If not, what symbol should be used?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12377798_f260.jpg

2. Easy Exercise profile image84
    Easy Exerciseposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12377815_f260.jpg

Good question.

There are symbols to showcase the verification of emails on some social media (see the Twitter verification symbol as an example below), there should be a symbol to showcase the account is verified and the human has departed us along with who is maintaining the account.

Perhaps something more subtle like adding a simple frame around the photo of the person.

How does HP handle this? We have had members depart from us. What does Facebook do? Google+?

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

That is a good question. Honestly I have no idea. Even in real life that can be an awkward moment in social settings learning someone has passed away. I now ponder how the 'white pages' handled removing someone from the listings when someone passed. Who is responsible for notifying all the social network entities is a question we may ask.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I would imagine after a certain amount of time without activity some social media accounts are closed. However I do know of some email accounts of deceased people that appear continue to accept emails.
    I also know of someone who died but his spouse and children continue to post things on his Facebook wall. Through social media I suppose we can all live forever. smile

working