jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

How old is too old to start a new career?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years ago

How old is too old to start a new career?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8091650_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

You're as old as you feel!
    Only you can put an expiration date stamp on your dreams.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio,
      Thanks. Your comment is inspirational.
      Lisa

3. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12515158_f260.jpg

It depends on the career; for some (i. e. military officer positions) it is sooner than later. For some others there are indeed  physical requirements (i. e. police). I always wanted to be a professional hockey player, I have not been drafted so I had to pursue different avenues and now since I wasn't drafted in 2015 I am thinking I will not try again. Thus, there may exist unwritten age-limits in sports also. However, for most there is no limit on age and if their primary need is someone that can critically think then physical requirements should not be an issue. Having texted that, you may have to convince the entity that is hiring that your age is not an issue.
    I suggest you commence by representing your age like I do; after all some have concluded that I am 18 for the 3rd go-around our Sun. Oops you better not, my Better Half just yelled maturity is everything!

John,
      I guess if you don't need your body so much and rely basically on the mind, you can do whatever you want to do.
      Thanks,
      Lisa:)

2. connorj profile image76
      connorjposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed; although, it appears that you are looking after both; thus, you are well prepared for the leap...

4. liesl5858 profile image89
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

I don't think there is an age limit to starting a new career. I met a Lady once who was age 50 at the time. She told me that she will study to become a Nurse now that her children are all grown up and she did. By the time she was 53, she finished and became a Nurse. So it does go to show that age does not matter really when it comes to careers. It is only a number.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

depending on what career that accepts your age. Most office works prefer graduates and experienced employees. If you are starting off a business on your own, no age limit

peachy,
      It is true that if you're working for yourself no one can say anything about your age. Thanks for your input.
      Lisa

6. integrater profile image60
    integraterposted 2 years ago

Depends on the new career you want to pursue. Some fields like sports involving heavy pysical activity, military, police and similar fields require good physical fitness and younger people are supposed to be fitter than older people(though they may not be in some cases). So there might be an age bar for careers in these fields  . In other fields, as long you are phyically and mentally fit, age should not be a factor, but unfortunately it is. Blame it on ageism in society.
    IMO , it is never too late to start something new .

Certified Noob,
      You're right, age should not be a factor. It's a good thing I don't plan to do a young person's job in the future.
      Thanks so much,
      Lisa

working