jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How do you tell a co-worker she's not pulling her weight at work?

1. crackerjack9 profile image72
    crackerjack9posted 2 years ago

How do you tell a co-worker she's not pulling her weight at work?

I work with a woman who never does more than she absolutely has to do to het HER work done. When we are short-staffed, this makes more work for everyone else. How to tell her and still keep the peace in the office?

2. ronbergeron profile image85
    ronbergeronposted 2 years ago

It's your manager's job to determine whether or not people are meeting an acceptable level of performance. Tell your manager about your concerns and then let your manager manage.

There are good and bad ways to approach your manager about this. If you go to him and say "SuzieQ is a lazy loafer", you might not get very far. You might have better luck if you go to him and say "I've noticed that during busy times, SuzieQ doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency as the rest of us. That creates additional work for the other people in our team and affects customer satisfaction and employee morale".

If you go directly to her and you have no authority over her, don't be surprised if she tells you to mind your own business.

1. crackerjack9 profile image72
      crackerjack9posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I will go to the manager. I know the manager has addressed us as a group, but has never addressed her alone, as far as I know.

2. ronbergeron profile image85
      ronbergeronposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he actually has talked with her in private and she hasn't changed her behavior. I've always made it a point to praise people in public, but criticise in private.To do otherwise can start a downward spiral of resistance and resentment.

working