jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do You Support The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) "Free Trade" Deal?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 2 years ago

Do You Support The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) "Free Trade" Deal?

If do you or don't support the  Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) "Free Trade" Deal, please explain why

2. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

John, I don't think most people get what a legal framework is or is not. We have letters of intent, memorandums of understandings, restrictive covenants and the clear laws of the countries involved. These are all considerations and machinations before any deal gets done.
    We have WIPO, WTO, WMF and the UN in general. Then we have regional "associations" like ASEAN. These are all pseudo regulatory groups that basically rule the day. Loosely speaking.
    Then you have just plain old clear optimization of profits for multinational corporations and they answer to stockholders boards and securities enforcement.
    Then you have already in place mandatory, sanctions, tariffs, and taxes and labor codes and shipping practices (maritime stuff). Yes a free trade does not abolish mandatory taxation already in place without legislation from the taxing country.
    Now you throw into that mix just general "globalization" economies of scale and supply and demand. And don't ever forget international banking and finance.
    See where I am going?  There ain't no such thing as a "free trade deal". Did I even mention personalities like Obama versus XI Jinping or Buffet versus Slim versus the Waltons? And what about public opinion and stock values if something is horribly amiss like a boycott.
    So the TPP is just another framework that tries to limit governmental dictation of markets by fiat. It is another damned bureaucracy and hurdle but usually a rather insignificant one in the world of trade.
    So I do not support another bureaucracy but I do support more limitations on governments mucking up business.

Rock_njposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Interesting perspective.  Thanks!

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

I don't support it for several reasons.
    1. It basically requires the US to keep tariffs down without requiring nations that already charge us a tariff to bring down theirs. This already hurts us economically.
    2. It can be amended by most members approving a change without requiring us to accept the change - so Asian countries can come to an agreement to hurt the US without us even saying so.
    3. The treaty trumps laws, so if they pass something that is unconstitutional, the treaty says we have to obey it. Whether laws saying "no criticism of X" to violate the First amendment or "no gun sales" to violate the second is TBD.

Rock_njposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I like the idea of fair free trade, but the TPP is so bad in so many ways.  Thanks for pointing out three of the bad points of this trade deal. They are all troubling and not in our interest.