jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do you think about President Trump obliterating the TPP on his first Monday

1. modernalchemyst profile image93
    modernalchemystposted 15 months ago

What do you think about President Trump obliterating the TPP on his first Monday in office?

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy … ou-n710781

2. profile image60
    peter565posted 15 months ago

Personally I am never a big fan of free trade, I don't believe free trade is truly a benefiting economic policy. I think a fair trade deal with many trade partner, is better then free trade. Most countries who are pro free trade, within their country, the have a law saying all company that is within the export and/or import industry, cannot be purely export or purely import, but must be an exporter/importer and ur the worth of ur combine export goods and combine import goods must be equal, thus, despite they have a free trade policy, the result is still fair trade, only they are letting business to work it out for them self, rather then government telling them what to do. The US and most western country's idea of free trade, don't include this clause and it is in my opinion free trade is very damaging, under this clause, not benefiting.

3. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 15 months ago

Neither Hillary nor Donald felt that TPP was good for America, and President Trump had promised to take the USA out of it.  Promise kept.

4. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 15 months ago

Free trade is vital to our economy.  If you don't understand that, then I don't know where you've been for the past 30 years.  Welcome to the 21st Century.  Tariffs are bad. Isolationism is even worse. The United States can't withdraw from the world. As a Republican, it's been an embarrassing week. I thought GW Bush was a bit dense, but Trump has him beat. 

TPP is very important, most of all because it excludes China. It also would establish better labor standards across Asia.  Yes, it will benefit more highly skilled workers in the U.S. (>$88K per year).  That's business.

Will it help the rust belt? No. But not much will. Unless those workers want to work for half of what they were making, those jobs are gone forever. We live in a global economy and there is no going back.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 15 months agoin reply to this

What has it done for us in the last 30 years? Trump is going to negotiate with countries individually. Living in a global economy is the problem!

2. modernalchemyst profile image93
      modernalchemystposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Agreed, bradmasterOCcal. It's about time the US was allowed to benefit from our trade deals. Free trade is a serious misnomer when it comes to TPP. It's become code for "we come last, always."

3. ptosis profile image73
      ptosisposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Although Free Trade= good, my problem is that foreign companies would be able to sue the US  for 'unfair' policies - that's the part I hated.  Hate Trump, glad TPP is dead.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 15 months agoin reply to this

ptosis
      Hate? He spoke well of you -lol

5. Old-Empresario profile image80
    Old-Empresarioposted 15 months ago

I think his approval ratings will be very high in four years.

working