How to choose a great subject for an article
What should I write about?
So your looking for inspiration to write an article. Well first off you need a good subject to write about. There is no real limit to what you can write about on the net however there is if you want to succeed.
If you want to be a successful Online writer of articles you need to pick your subjects carefully and then research them thoroughly. You need to find subjects that will pass the test of time and get constant views. You also need to know a lot about your chosen subject so you can write an interesting article with all the relevant information the reader needs to glean from it.
The best subjects to choose are ones you know allot about. Subjects you have a passion for. Mine are Writing, Sport (Athletics), Science (Physics) and UK Travel. My Mam's would be Gardening and my partners Carpentry and Joinery.
Where do I look for ideas for articles?
Use the Internet and Newspapers to help you come up with article ideas.
Although an article needs to outlast a news story it needs to be up to the minute information and reading Newspapers and Magazines can help you find that information.
The Internet is a great source of information on all subjects and can be used as a tool to see what others are writing about and what people are searching for. These two bits of information are important when choosing your subject matter. Here on hubpages a great place to find topic inspiration is by looking through the Answers Section. This is where people post questions that they are looking for answers to.
Hints and Tips
- Choose a subject you know allot about.
It could be something you have qualifications in or just a general interest in
- Research the Internet's hot topics to find out what is trending.
It may not be great for getting views over a long period of time but if you get the article up at the right time it will do well and could keep getting views after its subject matter has stopped trending.
- Read Newspapers and Online news sites.
You will find up to date news and even obscure stories that can make for great articles.
- Read Magazines
There are always great articles to get inspiration from in a magazine
- Read other articles on the subject
Try to find out what information is missing from other articles. Some writers may only concentrate on one area of a subject and could miss out some vital information that readers are looking for.
- Try to find a subject that is searched for allot but has few articles related to it
A subject that people are trying to find information on but there is not much to choose from is a great subject to go for if you have knowledge about it.
- Look in shops for the newest products then research them on the Internet.
Great product reviews can be great for pulling in views
Great places on the net to find ideas
- Real-time local Twitter trends - Trendsmap
Twitter trends mapped. Visualize topics trending globally, nationally, and in your city. See the top news stories, videos, and images for trends occuring anywhere in the world.
- News Topics A-Z - Yahoo News UK
A-Z index of topics on Yahoo News UK.
- Google Trends
Explore Google trending search topics with Google Trends. A great place to find inspiration for an article
- The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia
Find breaking news & more at nytimes.com.
- CNN.com International - Breaking, World, Business, Sports, Entertainment and Video News
CNN.com International delivers breaking news from across the globe and information on the latest top stories.
- BBC News - Home
BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news.
- The Sun | The Best for News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities | The Sun
Get the latest news and features at The Sun.
- Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
- Mirror Online: The intelligent tabloid. #madeuthink
All the latest news, sport and celebrity gossip at Mirror.co.uk.
- Newspapers | Media | The Guardian
Latest news and comment on Newspapers from the Guardian
A great way to find the best subject is to brainstorm. This is where you write down ideas and then put down the pros and cons of those ideas. This will help you if you are stuck with a few different ideas and want to just concentrate on one.
- Choose a subject you know and are passionate about.
- Research the topic to find out more information and how much people search for the topic.
- Last but not leased Have Fun doing it.