You Want Fries With That HubNugget?
Why are french fries so addicting?
There's nothing better than a serving of hot, crispy fries sprinkled with just the right amount of salt. The nice crisp brown outside with the soft white inside is hard to resist. It's that kinf of food that brings back that saying, "Bet you can't eat just one". It would certainly take a very strong willpower to be able to limit yourself to one.
There are many different explainations to why fries are so addicting. Some people feel they are the ultimate comfort food. Some attribute it to the desire for salty foods. Whatever the reason there is no denying that they can seem to be addictive. Below I included some of the more 'scientific' reasons that french fries are thought to be one of the most addicting foods in the world.
- Fast foods such as french fries cause blood sugar to peak and then plunge, creating a natural desire for another snack.
- The answer may lie in the salt. A study was done that showed increased salt level showed less activity in the stress systems of the brain than it does with a normal level of salt.
- Some say it starts with the tongue. When you eat your french fries the fats in them sends a signal to the brain and then to the intestines where it initiates a desire for more fatty foods.
- The fat in the french fries releases dopamine in the brain.
Who has the healthiest fast food french fries?
Lowest in Calories:
- Sonic Drive-In regular fries (75g): 220 calories
- McDonalds small fries (71g): 230 calories
- KFC Potato Wedges: 260 calories
Lowest in Fat:
- Sonic regular fries (75 g): 9 grams total fat
- McDonalds small fries (71g): 11 grams total fat
- Wendy's: 13 grams total fat
Lowest in Sodium:
- Sonic regular fries: 135 mg
- In-N-Out Burger: 245 mg
- McDonalds: 330 mg
Lowest in Carbohydrates:
- Sonic: 48 grams
- McDonalds: 48 grams
- Wendy's: 55 grams
Highest in Fiber:
- Jack in the Box Natural Cut Fries: 5 grams
- There is a 7 way tie for 2nd place. They all have 4 grams of fiber each.
- Burger King
- Chick-fil-A waffle fries
- Long John Silvers
- Carl's Jr. Natural cut fries
- White Castle
Highest in Protein:
- Wendy's: 5 grams
- Burger King: 5 grams
- There is a 2 way tie for 3rd place. They have 4 grams of protein each.
- Mc Donalds
It turns out that Sonic regular fries are the healthiest fast food fries. They are the lowest in calories, fat grams, percentage of calories from fat, and toal amounts of 'bad fats'. McDonald's small fries came in second. They ranked second lowest in calories, fat grams, and 'bad fats'.
NOTE: Most of this great information came from the Web MD website. The rest I found in a few various other websites.
Interesting french fry facts
- Americans eat more than 16 pounds of french fries per year. That means that as a nation Americans consume over 2 million tons of fries per year. French fries were first introduced to America when Thomas Jefferson first had them served in the White House during his stay between 1801 - 1809.
- There is an oddly large number of french fry related gifts for the french fry lover, including: lip balm, jewelry charms, golf club heads, cuff links and throw pillows
- Did you ever wonder who thought up the idea of french fries. France and Belgium both claim to have invented french fries. The Belgians claim that they sold "Belgium fries" from pushcart before the French ever thought of the in the middle of the 19th century. Historians claim that fries were being sold in Belgium as early as 1680.
- In the beginning french fries were a dish limited to the wealthy. At that time the cost of oil was prohibitive. Only the rich could afford to dine on them.
- Many people wonder what the actual serving size is of french fries. The best way to tell you is: the small order of fries at a fast food restaurant is considered a single serving.
- For a short time in 2003 French fries were renamed Freedom fires as a show of rebellion against the French stance on the war in Iraq.
Great Hubs by the Krewe
- 40 Powerful Inspirational Quotes
Inspirational quotes that will nourish, empower, and make you ponder about life.
- A HubNugget Day at the Spa
- Mannequin Monday- Another Hubnugget Roundup
Mannequin Monday is my homage to the Twilight Zone show starring and written mostly by Rod Sterling.
- A HubNuggets Woodland Hike
- Yankee Doodle HubNuggets
What's your favorite thing about the Fourth of July - besides the flags, and parades, and picnics, and great food? Celebrate George M. Cohan's patriotic anthem while you enjoy some great articles from HubPages.
- The Weekly HubNuggets Competition
You may have noticed a super sticky Forum thread that changes every week- one which always curiously refers to HubNuggets. This Forum links you to a Hub full of wacky shenanigans and voting capsules regarding several selections of Hubs. What is all..
Air-fryer French Fries
Now that the air-fryer has becomes so popular we no long have to avoid eating French fries to avoid the oil used to cook them in.
If you haven't tried air-fryer French fries then you are in for a treat. They come out delicious, crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Susan Hazelton