Here are the steps I follow.
1. Look for keyword phrases with a considerable amount of global and local searches. This can be done through the Google Adwords Keyword Tool.
2. After finding 3 related keyword phrases with at least 200k views, research about the topic and come up with an interesting title.
3. Do the basics. Write an introduction, body, and brief summary in the end. It would be better if yo can write a hub that has more than 1000 words.
4. Make sure your new hub is free from grammar and spelling errors.
5. Insert photos or videos to spice up your new hub,
6. Read the final output and make necessary adjustments.
7. Publish the hub and spread the word about it through Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, your personal blog, and any other method you can think of.
Good luck here on Hubpages and God bless!