jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Content First, Money Later?

1. DogSiDaed profile image58
    DogSiDaedposted 8 years ago

I'm here primarily for content and discussion, but it seems many people are only out for money and this is somewhat dissapointing, but I suppose it is still tough to do and those people are doing well at it.

What do you think? Content first or money first?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why not do both?

Alternate - one for money, one that never gets read, one for money..........

That is what I do - sort of. smile

DogSiDaedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ahh well you're the man to listen to really! By the way, nice argument in that religious forum post eh? XD

I swear there's a new one every day...

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You must have content first, before you can earn anything.  The decision isn't whether content or money comes first, it's what kind of content you want to write. 

HubPages is a place to write for money - that's it's whole purpose.  However there is a community of writers here who just write for pleasure, and that's fine too. 

One thing people forget is that writers have never been able to write whatever they please, and be paid for it.  Journalists and freelance writers have always had to consider their market when choosing their subjects. Some people seem to think that the internet is different, but it's not. In fact, it's even more competitive.

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am changing my tactic, after learning the hard way that great content does not equal great profit. I am now using hubpages as a means of advertising revenue and amazon affiliate sales only, whilst I will be hopefully creating some great content in a couple of books which I will self publish and sell through Amazon. That said, I have had hubs published in magazines and journals, so great content can bring a little cash in other ways wink

1. Kidgas profile image80
        Kidgasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a great strategy, Ryan.

2. Kidgas profile image80
    Kidgasposted 8 years ago

Most of mine never get read.

DogSiDaedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mmmm, thing is I WANT mine to get read. I'd like them to be seen and criticised and for people to give advice and such as to where to go. But my traffic just seems soooo slow and I'm struggling to get it going, which is frustrating.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is frustrating and sad to say - if you are writing for your own pleasure - it is not going to get read.

Some of my best stuff gets zero page views. Some of the commercial stuff gets hundreds of thousands.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually I often find the opposite.... my hubs about footballers from the 1960s and Famous Serial Killers get me plenty of reads.... its the clicks that they dont get. And when they do get a click, which is infrequently, they will earn me about 5p. My highest earning hub gets about 5 page views per day..... but pays about £5 a click and a CTR of about 3-4%.....

3. Misha profile image78
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

You give me content now, I give you money later. May be tongue

4. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Kidgas, I had a quick look at a few of your Hubs.

Some of the topics are good but they're all a bit too short.  Personally, I don't think there's much point in writing about current news items, because in my experience it takes a few months for a Hub to start earning well - and by that time, the news is old. Not to mention the fact that there are hundreds of news sites out there, already covering the same story.

1. Kidgas profile image80
      Kidgasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do agree that they are a bit short.  I write that way since I can't stand to read an article more than a minute or two.  Give me the facts. 

That's OK, though.  I am still having fun and experimenting.  Maybe I am just a slow learner.

5. Madison22 profile image60
    Madison22posted 8 years ago

Interesting, I just wrote a hub about how I originally came to hubpages hoping for some sort of income and how although, I'm not making any money I've come to  really enjoy this community and the great hub writers. I still don't cross out the whole making money aspect of it, hopefully I will soon someday but I know it takes time.

6. PurpleOne profile image90
    PurpleOneposted 8 years ago

I've only made $4 so far on this site so obviously haven't been too successful yet. I am wondering myself whether it's better to focus on content or money first. I tried to write most of my hubs so far for content but am now thinking that I should try to focus more on the money because my hubs so far aren't doing too well! I do want to be ethical though and can see it being a challenge to produce hubs that primarily make money yet still are honest and hopefully provide some useful information.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense! It's soon time for bed.

working