Does Having a Large Amount of Followers Matter to You?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. FreezeFrame34 profile image75
    FreezeFrame34posted 11 years ago

What has your experience been. Did you notice that the more people you followed, the more people followed you? Did you ever start following people just because you wanted more followers? I have been pretty selective in the people that I follow and I am totally happy with all of the awesome Hubbers I have met! Just wondering others thoughts on the whole process and what worked and didn't for them!

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I have never followed people just because they follow me.

Obviously it is nice to know people want to follow, however, in my understanding there is no correlation between number of followers and income potential. Thus I do not make any particular efforts to gain followers.

FreezeFrame34posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I always felt that way too. Just wondering how other people felt.
      I have had some people send me fan mail saying, "Follow me too! Follow me !" It's been a turn-off.

3. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Every day that goes by where I don't gain a new follower is a day of emotional agony, spent curled on my bathroom floor, leaving damp spots of tears and mucous.

I measure my self-worth based on my amount of Hubpages followers.

It's worse when I lose a follower. I become so lost in the throes of my own depression and self-pity that the milk in my fridge has begun to mutate before I can drag myself from the dusty space beneath my bed.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Darn it. I'm already following you. big_smile

1. Brandon Tart profile image60
        Brandon Tartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Admittedly, I can say that I have thought about that.  But writing on Hubpages was, to begin with, a place for me to insert rigorous daily thoughts into a public domain.  I am now attempting to publish a novel that I began writing in 2009, then moved to Estonia for about 7 months total, thus putting the book on the back burner.  In Feb. of 2011, I picked back up with fervor, and completed a 200,300 word novel that I found out I would have to divide into two parts to market it since anywhere from 80,000-130,000 words is what most agents and editors are willing to take on.  Now, if for a second I thought that the followers that I acquire on Hubpages would make me a better, more successful, eloquent and considerably reputable author - then, and only then would it really matter to me.   

Here is what does matter, though - when I see that my traffic is up after reviewing my account, yet there are no remarks to the measure of useful, funny, interesting, etc...  THAT CONCERNS ME.  Here's why:

Each of our works are at least worthy of a click to the effect of the aforementioned list of adjectives, if not a modicum of criticism.  What I have read here on Hubpages that makes me leap is when a writer herein has an unusual aesthetic in his or her diction.  I look for prose that is outrageous, in that it does not sound like today's common entertainment Literature.  Rather, it is a remarkably well crafted string of lexical pearls that are draped around the imagery of the neck of the woman written of in the adorning address! 

In other words, Hubs that reflect a regard for a style of English that is now days - outdated... like literary fiction, it reaches the soul. 

Finally - this question is hard to answer directly without being a bit trapped by a degree of discursivity that begs me to say that the high numbers do not reflect quality AT ALL.  The most successful authors and artists are usually in conflict first, with their contemporaries.  Second, the better it is, the less received it is by larger audiences since the greater part of literate folks are only literate to an extent.  Read my hub titled, To the Critic, for instance... people who rely on authors to bring the reader up to speed are reading books that start off right where it all begins.  Yet, people who can watch films where the movie is told out of sequence, are also probably aware of concepts such as En Media Res... and in knowing that idea, prefer a literature that allows the person who is scanning left to right to do some internal navigating both within themselves, and the book which is riddled with palimpsests.

So, if people follow me here, then they'll follow me on my Hub.  If they don't, then chances are they just don't follow.  After all, there is a reason why some people go to MIT and why others go to a local CC.  That is no harsh statement, but we follow those who are writing to expel the soul's suffering, not to suffer those who follow to be followed.  They are not leaders, as they don't even know how to stand alone evidently.

Thanks for the response. I have had people send me fan mail and say Follow me too! Follow me too!

It makes me feel obligated to follow but it's a turn off!

2. FreezeFrame34 profile image75

Shanna11,  I am so glad I woke up in the middle of the night to check the status of my forum and saw so many responses! I will have a great day tomorrow, until the forum answers stop; then I might be in a downward spiral of depression; thanks for making me feel worthy of your response.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

You can't depend on an online audience because people tend to come and go.  Followers don't guarantee you a HubPages income.  I don't follow many people, but I have over 300 followers, and I've been here a year.  I have built this following without much effort.  I write Hubs, and I answer most comments from my readers.  I also comment and participate in certain Forum topics.  New Hubbers think they have to work hard at obtaining followers, but you don't.  Even if people followed you, don't expect them to read everything you put out there.  They have other things to do.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1.

5. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 11 years ago

I'd be elated to have a large number of followers, but looking at the Hub Metrics tells me that on many of my articles most of the reads come from other sources than followers.  So, followers are not everything.  And though I follow most of my followers, I don't feel obligated to follow all of them.

Yea, I also sigh when I lose a follower but I choose to believe that he or she is looking for something different than I have to offer. Better for them to not follow than to remain counted without reading.  We all have the right to be selective.

6. mr williams profile image58
    mr williamsposted 11 years ago

Not really. I think many users follow others just because they commented on their hubs

So true. You never know who actually follows you because they love your writing or they are just liked one answer you gave; they may have never read your work and they won't ever share any of it  either. They may also follow you because they are trying to gain followers too.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Followers do so for their own reasons and at their own whims.  It's something that just happens which I have no control over.

How many I have does not matter, especially as having a few thousand has proven how little they actually influence anything that happens with or to my Hubs.

The follow feature didn't exist when I first started here and was a later invention.  I think having it is different for people who joined the site after it was built and added.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)