jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

I have flagged 8 copied hubs, who has me beat?

1. Bedbugabscond profile image93
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

When I hub hop I like to take hubs that look fishy and check to see if they are copied content. This week I have found 8 hubs that were in whole or part copied directly from another page. Anyone have me beat?

2. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

This week! I flag that number in one session sometimes, in addition to loads of spun garbage.

Bedbugabscondposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice work!!!

3. tussin profile image59
    tussinposted 5 years ago

How do you tell if they are copied from another page? Are you running them through a Copyscape-like program?

No, I took paul's suggestion for checking for copied content. I take a portion of the text and copy it in to Google with " " around it. I don't know if this is the best way, but it works.

Sometimes there are no results, say the hub hasn't been indexed. Other times just the hub comes up. Sometimes other sites will come up, so I check the link to see how much is copied.

If it is just someone using quotes and linking to it I don't flag, but if it is obviously plagiarized or copied I flag it.

1. tussin profile image59
        tussinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a lot of time to invest, especially considering Hubpages has its own internal system for checking copied content.  Are you getting paid to do this?

No. I flag for other reasons too. It is time to invest; however, it is to everyone benefit that hubpages have a good reputation. That is why hubpages has rules, people who are here to "game" the system hurt all of us. So, I take the time to try flag hubs.

Yes they do have their own system, but I have seen hubs slip past it, so it doesnt hurt to help.

At hubpages we have to look out for each other.

2. Barbara Kay profile image87
        Barbara Kayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How do you know if it was the hubber that copied or the other site?

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
          SmartAndFunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good question. I guess if the hub is brand new it's obvious, but going back into a years-old account... I didn't think of that. Thanks.

3. Motherbynature profile image79
        Motherbynatureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Be careful to look at the dates.  I run another blog and I have caught people copying my content and posting it on other sites under their own names.   Most of the sites are Korean or Chinese forums translated into other languages.  Check the dates and see who posted first before you go flagging, just in case it's the other way around.  Just a suggestion.

Yeah, like I said, I don't flag copied hubs from actually hubbers. I message them privately. That way they can file a claim. The ones I flag are usually brand new accounts with 1 or 2 hubs. The old user, was pretty obviously a promotional hub, breaking rules and somehow getting away with it. There were other rule breaking going there.

I would hope that, if someone noticed my hubs content was on another site, they would have the courtesy to let me know, too. It isn't hard to tell who is active and really here to add to the community, and who is here to game it.

1. Motherbynature profile image79
              Motherbynatureposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would definitely let you know immediately.

smile, that is why I love hubpages. The community is so helpful.

4. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

Good grief. Are these copied Hubs turning up here at HP or elsewhere? And thanks for going to the trouble to research the matter, Bedbugabscond!

Almost all of the ones I have flagged is a person with no image who has only a few hubs. I did find one person who was here for 3 years who had TONS of copied hubs.

So, it is hard to tell which way they are going. If I find a copied hub of an active user I tend to contact the user instead of flagging.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well thank goodness you're taking time to do this. If a 3-year hubber with tons of pages has a bunch of duplicate content, it doesn't sound like HP's system is working properly. In three years you would think the dupes would have been found by now.

working