I just wrote my 12th article for Textbroker. It was 300 words long,

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

and it took me about 40 minutes.

Someone on Hubpages said they write 3-4 articles PER HOUR!  Is this really possible?  300 words each?  Who does this?   Can you do this?

The article I wrote was about a topic I have a fair bit of knowledge about.   I type maybe 35-40 words a minute.  Not great, but not so bad for a non-typist.

How long does it take anyone here to write one of these kinds of articles?   

answer0 answersshare

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image85
      Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on whether a person is writing about something he or she is familiar with, not familiar with, jazzed about or really not the least interested in.  It also depends whether the person properly proofreads their finished product and adds source notes when appropriate.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

I sometimes do some "quick" writing to make some extra cash if I need it.. I can do 4-5 500 word articles in one hour if I shut the door and turn off the internet.. Very easy if the subjects don't need too much research.
    Just plan out 4-5 section headings that make sense and write 100 words or so for each..

Good luck.. you can make some OK money if you turn your brain off for long enough.. lol

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I think that kind of writing also takes a little practice. I've done some of it. The first one, I think it took me about an hour to get 500 words, but I've sped up a little. I don't know if I could ever make minimum wage at it, but I made more than I do here for a lot less work. At least here my writing is mine; I can write what I choose. Who knows, maybe someday...

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I've written 1,000 word articles for HP half hour challenges before. Just takes prior knowledge and a good typing speed.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I have been typing 73 wpm since the beginning of time.  When you add typing skills to thinking skills, you can get a lot done.  I don't even bother thinking about how long an article will take me.  If I like the subject and have enough knowledge about it, you'd better believe 2,000 words in an hour or less is nothing.  Hacking has to be added to the pot, too, and in most online cases, you have to be ruthless.  Writing is a skill--not luck or some gift.  Experience pays!

6. Doodlehead profile image47

Sensitivity does too.

7. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Your first article will take a long time, as do most things that are done for the first time.  Over time, you will the thought process to these types of articles down, and will develop standard formats - intro, three paragraphs, conclusion, and will use them again and again.  You don't reinvent the wheel each time, just add them to a different car.

1. Doodlehead profile image47
      Doodleheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Millionaire Tips-
      This does seem to be happening...the last time I wrote much was a real long time ago--I will confess to everyone that the first article took me (screech) FIVE HOURS!   That's how many years it has been since I wrote anything.

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

You are new to this, but according to your profile you have a huge background in finance.  Which would make you a whiz at it.  When you do content writing, it's BAM, BAM, BAM.  Produce, produce, produce.  And because of the pay, you have to write many articles in order to make money.  Sensitivity?  Well, that's all well and good when it comes to fiction, poetry, and fairy tales.  But it is useless to be sensitive when it comes to getting bad criticism.  You will find this out with experience.  Writing is a business for most people, and you have to find your own way.  If I had your education and background in finance, I'd be writing articles left and right.  People will always need help with their finances.  But, at the same time, finance may not be a topic you may not want to deal with most of the time.  For all I know, you probably want to branch out to write something else.

9. Doodlehead profile image47

Dang, Arlene!   If YOU are a writer, I can be a writer.   It appears you do not review your comments. 

I am taking writing orders from people requesting articles who do not even put complete directions in with their orders.   

You are right.  I can go out right this minute and make megabucks more than with writing.   Why am I even bothering?   The people asking for articles don't even review their requests.   The writers don't review their writing.   

In about one month I have learned the real answer to all of this is to OWN THE PLATFORM.   I will.

Jeesh.

Thanks for your reply, Arlene.   Always.

1. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  One day, Doodlehead, you will look back at your experiences with these online clients and just laugh.  Sorry if I don't appear to read my comments, but it's the way I think.  I chase.  I had this idea for an article, and just had to leave my laptop.  Anyway, about two months ago, I had some "client" ask for revision after revision until I told him to stick it because he was wasting my time.  I made more money illegally sorting tomatoes in an hour, and I was thirteen at the time.  And I told him so.  Clients not knowing how to communicate to you what they want?  It's one of the many downers of online writing.  You are never appreciated, and you can be fired at any time.  I have been writing since the 70s for money.  I am retired mostly because of it, so I can ignore the buzzards online who can't tell me what they want from me.  Or the ones who want something for nothing.  Writing has to fit you like your best pair of jeans.  Otherwise, it's just not worth it.  Oh, no.  Not everyone can write.  Just ask anyone who writes or edits for a living.  They can instantly pick out the writers.

10. Doodlehead profile image47

Ok Arlene---

Yesterday I emailed a question to a customer as they did not explain themselves.  I did not expect any answer on a Sunday, but wtf...I figured I would take a shot at it, and sent it in.

Mercy me---I guessed wrong.    Not only did I guess wrong, but the customer was an SOB.   I told the customer I could no longer communicate with them as they were now on my blacklist, so they should not respond.   I immediately punched "send" and stuck them on the blacklist.

The fact is, I still cannot believe  that even the "good" directions on Textbroker from the "good" customers are like guessing games.    I remember viewing the first set of article directions and thinking, "huh?   where are the rest of the directions on this?"   

Seems like every article is a small puzzle.   Interesting, anyway.

11. Lauryallan profile image71
    Lauryallanposted 11 years ago

Yeah Doodlehead, I totally agree with you. Most of the instructions or directions given to the writer are seriously lacking.

I wrote a 500 word article once on how to land a graduate job after you graduate college, which was what the article title was. The client then rejected it saying they wanted the article to be about how to get a job with no experience. To me that's a very different article to the one initially requested. I thought about rewriting the article, but by then I was annoyed at having my time wasted. And their response was written very rudely as if I were a moron.

I have to say, that after that I am very careful which Textbroker assignments I take. If the instructions are open ended or confusing I pass. The last thing I want is to write something that's going to need to be re-written or just flat out rejected. They pay you the same low rate, regardless of how lame the instructions were to begin with or how many times they change the brief and ask you to re-write the text. There are plenty of assignments to choose, so just skip the ones that don't fit the bill.

Now I get great feedback from the professional requests and I don't waste my time with fruitless assignments.

12. Norman Stein profile image59
    Norman Steinposted 11 years ago

I think most people here will agree that the most time consuming steps in writing a quality article is researching the keywords and doing research for the article itself.

For that reason usually on the weekend I research about a dozen keywords for use during the coming week.

I also have a directory on my HD for every article topic I've ever written with a txt document full of keywords to use (and good sites to checkout for information) and a copy of every article I've ever written on that subject.  That way if I want to write another one the research data is there and I can just grab a keyword off my list.

I also find that gathering legal photos can be time consuming so I also have a saved copy of every photo I've used in those directories as well.

I think over time having a system like this will payoff with easier/quicker hub writing. 

I've only been here 3 weeks and I already have 25 hubs and I took the first week off, so yeah, I can publish a 1000 word hub on a good researched keyword in a 1/2 hour easy.

Hope that helps you..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)