Weird and sudden drop in views

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CyberFreak profile image75
    CyberFreakposted 11 years ago

Hello my fellow hubbers,

I am a relatively new hubber who has not had much success; however, I keep writing useful (I think) guides and articles. Last 5 days I have seen a rather weird drop in views which cannot be explained by idle hubs or anything else. But let me explain:
    My usual figures in the field "1 Day" are, in the last 4 months, between 80 and 120. I have had a day when it showed 180 (hurray, I went) and one when it showed 70. Thing is, last 4 days my views in that column have never exceeded 45. At the moment it is an annoying 36 which I think are not reasonable. None of my hubs are idle at the moment, I have not stopped any kind of promotion of them (because I haven't really done any at all). In my opinion, something is wrong there... and to be honest, after a very good summer when I was writing a lot, saw increase of views and income and planned to exert efforts even more and dedicate more time, now I am puzzled. Maybe it isn't worth it if this goes on like this.

Anyone else noticed this too?

1. Melovy profile image92
      Melovyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Assuming this started on Friday, I think this is happening to many people. I am one, but I know several others in the same position, and some people say it's wider than even this site. I'm am not knowledgeable about the whys and wherefores of Google, but they did something on Friday to change the way people are ranked (changed the algorhythm - which I'm sure I've spelled wrong).  Whether this is long or short-term I am not sure, and what we can do about it I am not sure either. But you can be sure it's not just you.

1. CyberFreak profile image75
        CyberFreakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your time Melovy. It is good to know I am not alone. I guess we ought to be patient and see how it ends up.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the site!  As Melovy said, this seems to be happening all across the site. PaulE posted a thread a day or so ago letting us know they (site admin) were making some adjustments to help address things that might be causing the drop from the site's perspective.  But, as Dame Scribe mentioned, our site as well as all sites are at the mercy of Google. 

Hang in there, and keep writing hubs - this, too, shall pass!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I would not worry too much. HP is at the mercy of the big 'G' constant algo 'tweaks' tongue but HP does also do it's best to keep up. I think it's best to just 'ride' along since nobody knows what the final outcome will be but least we can hope, some days may be better than others. It's just something we have no control over but am sure that the big 'G' will realize, it's us, the little writers who sprinkle those 'ads' around for their clients wink

3. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

My traffic views are around 10% of normal (4000 views on a good day to 500 now) and my slide began around Tuesday of last week.  'Ride it out' is reasonable advice although when this has happened to me before, the recovery has been much quicker.  HubPages have admitted changes they made may have created some of this problem. (see forums) and things may pick up once the pages are revisited by Google bots (1-3) days.

4. CyberFreak profile image75
    CyberFreakposted 11 years ago

Things are going worse. Now dropped to 25's. This is so terrible I hesitate to load HP anymore...really heartbreaking.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Traffic usually dips at the start of the weekend, so when you had already lost traffic through the week, you will see even lower views for a couple of days.

Should pick up a little Sunday or Monday.

Hang in there. There is every chance your usual traffic will return in its own good time.

Could be a week or a month away, but it will likely come back.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

I agree, Izzy - I know it's frustrating, but the site's changes will kick in soon, and the weekend slump will pass.  And life will go on.

5. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 11 years ago

Hi everyone!
    OK, I'm optimist...

Two years ago I've written ten hubs (not the best quality, not the worst either), then came PANDA! I gave up and visited HubPages very seldom. Around a month ago, I've realized that I'm earning money with HubPages... by doing nothing... A great experience. This is why I have begun to write again... and now we have the PANDA update - or PENGUIN, or maybe "SOMEBODY" else... like Google-Ghost...

Stay optimistic and write, I'd say... :-) :-) :-)

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

I like your approach, janatamaya!  I agree - time will work things out.  I'm already seeing higher traffic (even had increases over the weekend). Still not where it was before the slump, but it's getting closer, and it will indeed recover.

6. borge_009 profile image71
    borge_009posted 11 years ago

mine dropped 70%......its like my first days in hubpages.......

7. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

My traffic has increased 4 fold since last Thursday.  This is the way things go these days.  Just ride it out I guess.. hmm

8. brianlokker profile image96
    brianlokkerposted 11 years ago

I have only 24 Hubs and don't get much traffic generally, but over the last couple of days Hub views have decreased to about 10% of the usual amount -- in other words, to almost nothing. I haven't had traffic this low since I started on HubPages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)