What is with all of the poorly written hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Mom Kat profile image76
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Holy cow!  I've been hub hopping and looking through a few freshly written hubs today and I am blown away by the low quality!

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind before now to add "flagging" to my list of things to do while hanging out at HP as part of my daily ritual.  I'm thinking now that I might need to.

If getting rid of the low quality helps those of us with higher quality, then I say we need to all make an effort to start doing it.  At the very least do some hub hopping and vote some ups and downs....

If you can't tell the difference between: their, there, and they're  or granite and granted... you've got issues.  Also, the use of "I" needs to be capitalized because it's a proper noun.  Running around using "i" in your entire hub when speaking in the first tense is just lazy. 

Errors in Q&A or in the forum are one thing... you aren't publishing it for the world to see.  You're simply hanging out with other hubbers "back stage".  It's fine to be relaxed with your typing when it's casual.

Ugh, alright, so that's my vent... anyone else have any thoughts on the issue?

1. madelineyochum profile image60
      madelineyochumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although all writers have access to information that will keep them grammatically informed, some choose to write bad on purpose. Their reasons are unbeknownst to me. Last I heard, libraries were free.

Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right?!  It's just mind boggling...
        Forget the library even, if you write for HP you HAVE internet access ~ use it!
        There are dictionary websites available.

2. ITcoach profile image58
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

It does not matter a lot. You must publish them accordingly after checking some mistakes. When ever they will be published. Take the different readers feedback that come to your hubs regularly. I hope you will get fruitful results

My feedback and results are just fine ITcoach.  I know how to write a high quality hub.  I'm talking about those here who write poor quality hubs.

3. fancifulashley profile image69
    fancifulashleyposted 11 years ago

I would say give the readers feedback. English may not be their first language or there could be some other issue affecting how they write. It will also improve the quality of their hubs as well as their overall skills. I think they would be grateful for the help, but that is just me.

If I'm floored by the poor quality of a hub the first thing I do is click on the person's profile to see what country they are from.  If they are from an "English" speaking country, they should know better. 
      I guess I could write hubs on how to write a higher quality hub, but I'm not going to spend all my time "grading" other people's work in the comments section of their hubs.

4. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I've definitely come across some fantastically poorly written hubs - sentence fragments, run-on sentences, extra words that never got deleted...  It's frustrating to know that these hubs may get just as much traffic as a very well written one because search engines are trolling for keywords, not grammar.

And let's not forget about and... the constant use of "and" in nearly every sentence is enough to drive me bonkers!  Expand the vocabulary people!
      smile

5. Ana Teixeira profile image60
    Ana Teixeiraposted 11 years ago

Well, although I'm forced to agree with your point, you should remember that not everyone on hubpages has English as a first language (I'm portuguese). The funny thing is, most people I see making those mistakes such as "they're / there / their" are people with english as a first language. Before you flag a hub you should first check if the person is a native speaker (I usually do it) In any case, you have a great point regarding grammar use and even obvious editing mistakes. I've flagged a few hubs myself simply because I couldn't understand anything.

As previously mentioned above, I do check to see what country the hubber is from.  I overlook some of the mistakes typically made in translation. 

Most of the truly heinous ones I've come across are actually from USA writers, which offends me personally because they are setting a very poor example. 

From the business end ~ it doesn't matter where you're from, this is a writing website of which the primary condition is that it be written in English.  If you can't write or can't write in English, I think it's best you look somewhere else to publish your work... maybe a personal blog.

Anyway, thanks Ana.  I appreciate your input on the matter.

6. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I wish there was a program that I could run that would tell me if any of my hubs are poorly written. I'll admit I am by far not a professional writter. I use spell check.I always worry that I am one with "poorly written hubs" I wish there was a rating capsule for the quality of the writing instead of just an up or down button. This would be helpful for people like me who really have no clue what is considered quality in the eyes of professional writers.

I just picked one of your hubs to look at ~ the 5 home remedies for sunburn jumped out at me.
      You are doing just fine.  You break things up using a number of capsules.  I saw one or two punctuation errors, but nothing huge.  You have correct spelling. 
      The thumbs up & down, plus the feedback buttons are a great way to see how others rate your hubs.  If you weren't writing quality you wouldn't have as high of rating numbers.

7. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

Maybe they are beginning writers like myself. (I hope I'm not that bad)  I do use spell check .Not capitalizing the 'i' is just laziness.  There are many here who are not from English speaking countries therefore what they write down doesn't come out in their translation.  I have a friend who is a good writer however he doesn't use any punctuation which drives me crazy.  I've told him so many times about it he stopped writing which I feel so bad for.  I've even tried working with him on it.  Remember, some people want to write or learn to write but may not have finished school. Just a thought.  Iliteracy isn't against the law and unfortunately in America 1 in 5 people are iliterate.   We are all here to critique each other and offer advice or thoughts.

I look past a certain amount of error when English is not the first language of the person writing.  I understand things get lost in translation and I appreciate the efforts they put toward learning another language and sharing what they know.

Yes, it is sad that so many American's are illiterate.  It's still just an excuse.  To say it is acceptable to be illiterate because so many other people are is ridiculousness.  If anything it should be less acceptable! 
      Being, acting, speaking, or writing "stupid" isn't something anyone should strive for or find acceptable because 1 in 5 people are too uneducated to know better.
      It isn't against the law, you're right, but there are plenty of things that aren't against the law.... it doesn't make it "okay", it just means there isn't a law against it.  It's not against the law for someone to hork down 3 pounds of bacon every morning for breakfast either ~ does that mean it's a good idea or that everyone should start doing it? Nope.

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Iliteracy is a huge problem not just in America, but all over the world.  If someone is iliterate due to the fact they never had the proper education and are trying to learn on their own because they can't afford to go back to school I give them a kudos.  However, maybe I need a better explanation of the 'poorly written hubs', of course without picking on someone.  Then again, there are people on here that do write willy nilly and don't care about the content or how they are coming across.  These I don't even bother to read or comment on.  You posted a good question Mom Kat.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I honestly think that anyone with a poor command of English grammar and spelling should find another hobby, and not be writing informative articles online at all.

If they are professional marketers, or really want to get a message out there, they could pay writers to write for them.

If they are ESLs, they should stick to writing articles in their own tongue online, on sites that allow them to do so.

This is not the place for learning English.

As a searcher, sites that have poor writing on them turn me off completely, and I certainly wouldn't buy any of the products they recommend, nor believe that what they write is correct.

Poor spelling has been shown to cut online sales when it happens to the big boys.

I also think Hubpages as a domain is harmed by poorly written hubs. While many people with poor or no education do not notice, many more do and will set their browser to skip all search results with Hubpages in the url.

So true IzzyM, so true....

9. hecate-horus profile image64
    hecate-horusposted 11 years ago

I just read a hub that was all in caps.  I couldn't flag them because everything else seemed ok, but it made my eye twitch.  Why do people write like that?  Just a pet peeve of mine....
    Anyway, I have no problem flagging hubs that are too short or riddled with errors.  Hey, I miss stuff too, but some people don't even bother with spell check.  Geez.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I just found someone who has been hubbing for 14 months and has 75 hubs, each of around 100 words.

It must be acceptable or they'd have been removed by staff before now?

Then I found a hub by someone who forum posts a lot, of only 200 words.

Thought there was a minimum word count, if its not a poem?

So did I.  I was under the impression that hubs needed to be at least 500 words.  Maybe the moderators are really over-loaded or people aren't flagging these hubs.  I'm not sure, but that really bothers me.
      I take writing here seriously. 
      This isn't some place to just blog about what you had for lunch or how mad you got when some guy cut you off in traffic on your way to work this morning. 

Poetry, yeah, there are different guidelines for that because most poems aren't 500 words long.  But the rest of the hubs... come on... let's get some quality here people.

It doesn't matter how many crappy hubs you can pump out in a day ~ it's about quality and making HP a respectable place to find information.

11. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 11 years ago

A lot of what you are talking about is spun content - when the article uses words that just sound off. If the hub is written by a non English speaker and uses inappropriate or ridiculous sounding words, it may be spun and certainly flagged. A fellow hubber has a wonderful article on spun content:
    http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/What-Is … n-Articles

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Spun content is easy to spot and I don't need to read a hub to recognise it. Same with translated articles.

Sadly there are too many people who simply can't write, but 'have a go' anyway. Their work may be original, but it is still dreadful when riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. In some ways it is a blessing when they only write short articles.

12. livinggood profile image61
    livinggoodposted 10 years ago

Not everyone in this world is a writer. Some people just enjoy having a place to vent. I could see someone using a Hub as a form of therapy. You know, like someone's personal diary that the whole world can see. I say keep it like it is that way a person like myself will still be able to enjoy all the benefits of having a Hub. Were else am I actually going to get published.

1. sleepylog profile image60
      sleepylogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but HP is not a personal blog.

13. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

You just got to take it for granite that there writing the best they can.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have to take it for granted that their writing the best they can when it's perfectly clear that people aren't.

1. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did you actually even read the original post?

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And we can't let them loose faith in they're ability to right. Everyone deserves to be herd!

1. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)