Suggestion: New HubTopic - Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

I've seen a lot of hubs on Black Friday and Cyber Monday and I've done several myself. I actually had it flagged because it was categorized wrong. I think that brings up the issue that we don't have a specific hubtopic for holiday shopping deals or Black Friday, etc...

I tried putting the hub under frugal living but it got dinged. So I'm wondering if we could have an actual topic on Black Friday. I bet it would draw a lot of traffic. What do you think?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image89
      ThePracticalMommyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If it was a hub that had long-term useful information about the origins of Black Friday or tips of how to survive Black Friday, it would do well as a topic. Otherwise, if it's just a hub aimed at getting sales for one particular year, it won't do well. I'd imagine that's why there's no actual topic for those days. Just my two cents.

Novel Treasureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You bring up a valid point, but I think if you write it openly it can be updated each year for that year so the hub can still be valid year after year. Yes, you may have to update it but isn't that part of what we should be doing to keep our hubs current and up to date? Just a thought.

I appreciate your comments and taking the time to read and respond.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Yes, these are seasonal hubs. It should be categorized under Personal Finance - Shopping or Holiday Celebration then Shopping!

Novel Treasureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I wouldn't have thought to look under Personal Finance!

3. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

GREAT suggestion! I'm sending your suggestion to Christy Kirwan, who is in the midst of giving our Topic ecosystem a makeover!

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

What about Black Friday in relation to the excessive consumerist ethos in this society.   Although many people are uncertain about their jobs and employment situation,  they shop to assuage their anxiety and to give them a temporary psychological uplift.       Also one can write about how people use Black Friday as a psychological release and escape from their economic situation.   Even though they may not certain about their jobs; nevertheless, they shop in order to get some type of "high."     My contribution to the forum.

5. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Update: It looks like Christy was one step ahead of us! She already created a "Black Friday and Cyber Monday" Topic under Personal Finance>Frugal Living>Bargain Shopping, and I think that covers the subject sufficiently for now. smile

Gmwilliams, if we find that we get a lot of Hubs on that subject, we'll definitely create a new Topic for it! As we create new Topics, we're starting with Topics that are already over-loaded and moving to the smaller ones from there.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It's seasonal and so very open to getting idled. Meaning that by next year it will not be indexed by Google.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)