I need help, my hubs have As beside them, I've resubmitted 4 times

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. VivBounty profile image66
    VivBountyposted 12 years ago

Can someone please help me? I've seen some really sub quality hubs out here. I write well and yet my hubs are being unpublished and continuously picked on for sub quality. I'm offended. You're making it not fun to be a hubber.

http://vivbounty.hubpages.com/hub/firew … -plus-help

VivBountyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I submitted before finishing my thought. I am so frustrated with all the changes and why what I have been told are wonderful stories are now being called sub quality. I joined hub pages to write articles and then to share to my blogs. Now I can't add feeds to my blogs, my hubs are being called sub quality and the repeated email messages keep sending me to other people's hubs. This does not tell my exactly what's wrong with the hubs you keep picking on. I need specific one-on-one help and not automated bot replies. Can someone please contact me? Thank you!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A doesn't mean substandard, it means you are lacking a summary.  Summaries are optional, but they do help (allegedly) with SEO.

Thanks Melissa. The bots sent me an email calling my hub substandard. I've been offline with bereavement for months and just coming back and all this unpublishing is so demeaning. I'm not up on this summary stuff so will read.
          Thanks Relache. As I've never made any adsense or amazon income here at hubs, it's probably easier to just write what I like on my blogs and not have to be worried about being unpublished every couple of months.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Viv, I assume you're not very active on the forums, as most of us went through the changes as they were introduced last year. Due to the size of HubPages and the small moderation team, they're still working through Hubs and it sounds like they've only just got to yours.  But rest assured, we all went through it!

The first step is to calm down and recognise that HubPages was slaughtered in the Google Panda update and had to make changes just to survive.  I'm sure you'd rather have HP with changes, than no HP at all.  Some of us don't agree with the changes they chose to make, but it's their business so it's their decision after all.

The second step is to understand that "substandard" does not mean substandard.  Several of us have suggested, several times, that HP stop using such an insulting word, when what they mean is "non-compliant".  Your Hubs do not comply with the new HubPages Terms of Service.

Third, go to each of your "non-compliant" Hubs and see if there is a warning you can click on.  Often it will open up and give you more precise information on what the problem is. 

As you've discovered, one big change is that in a Hub, you can only have links which are relevant to the Hub's subject.  So if you want to link to your blog, you'll have to choose a page that relates to the topic, not just a general feed.  Also you can have only two links to the same blog, OR an RSS feed, not both. 

Another change is a tightening up on "too personal" Hubs.  HP is not a blogging site so if a Hub doesn't offer anything of value to readers, it will be unpublished. So, for instance, a story about a dinner with friends could be unpublished as "too personal", but if it's the basis to share the recipes you used and how well they worked, that's informative and OK.  If you want to share a personal story without meaningful information in it, it needs to go in Creative Writing.

Finally, they've tightened up on links to affiliate sites and links to blatant sales pages.  I suspect that may be part of your problem.

1. profile image31
          StuffsInterestingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You'd rather have HP with changes, than no HP at all. HP are the users: if they discourage the users, they will have no HP either.

If their team are small why don't they use the community itself to vote on publish or not like elsewhere (stackoverflow,...)

1. theraggededge profile image97
            theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is an old thread. It's best to start a new one - which you already have.

You're not the first newbie to come into the forums with an 'I know better' attitude. What you need to know is that almost all the 'old' content farms have failed but HP is one of the few that have weathered the storms and is now on the rise. HP staff know what they are doing and most of us, apart from the odd gripe, are happy with what they are doing.

If you aren't getting your hubs approved, then maybe you should rethink whether this is the right place for you.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

The "A" means you haven't written a summary.

And if your Hubs are substandard, you probably want to go to the Learning Center and learn how to improve them.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

I don't believe this particular hub has any of the following errors. If someone can find them please help me as I can't:
      http://vivbounty.hubpages.com/hub/firew … -plus-help

Substandard can mean::
      * An empty or short Hub
      * Poor spelling or grammar that interferes with the readability/credibility of the Hub
      * A Hub with awkward or difficult-to-read formatting, including the use of all capital letters
      * A Hub with a full-width link, news, comment, rss, or product capsule as the first capsule of the Hub
      * A Hub with broken links or missing videos

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

your hub is still here in the cache - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s … mp;ct=clnk

The only thing I can see wrong with it, apart from the very odd spelling error/typo, is words in your photos which HP might consider to be a watermark.

And as it is a story (an interesting one at that) should it be categorised under 'Home'?
        I'm not sure, maybe someone can chip in.

Other than that, I am at a loss to say what is wrong. Does it not say on the hub itself if you click on the message at the top of the screen?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As it's just a personal story, I'm pretty sure it needs to go in Creative Writing.  She's got two RSS feeds to blogs about unrelated topics, and some unrelated links. At least two are affiliate links to sales pages, which would be  classified as a prohibited site.

Looking again, you're right, the photos would be classified as watermarked because they've got text on them, so that's another problem.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very impressive analysis.

3. VivBounty profile image66
    VivBountyposted 8 years ago

I have deleted all my hubs which have notices or violations, purely personal or substandard offenses. Would you please publish my remaining hubs? Thank you.

If you won't publish them, kindly advise me why when none of the remaining ones have any flags.

Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Viv, you've posted this message in a section of the forum designed to get help from other hubbers, not to get help direct from the HubPages team. It's difficult for us to offer help because we can't see any of your Hubs. 

I suggest you write to team @ hubpages.com if you want them to assist you. 

I notice that in an earlier reply, I pointed out why one of your Hubs had been unpublished - it might help to look at that list to see if they apply to the other Hubs.

Also, have you tried opening one of the Hubs in Edit mode, making a few small changes, then saving it (or hitting "publish")?

VivBountyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marissa. Actually all of my hubs were unpublished when then changes came through years ago. I am now writing to the email you suggested. Thanks again.

Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I looked at one of your Hubs at the time, and here are the problems I found:

If you have any links to other websites, or Amazon or eBay ads, they must now be DIRECTLY related to the subject of the Hub.  They are very strict about it - for instance, if you wrote about cooking fried chicken, you could link to a site about cooking chicken, but not a site about cooking fish.  Similarly, you could have an Amazon capsule for a deep fryer, but not for a roasting tin (because you're writing about frying chicken, not roasting it).   

Same applies to Hubs - you can't link to other Hubs just because they're yours, they must be on the same topic. 

You cannot have more than TWO links to the same website in a Hub.

I suggest fixing those problems first, before you email HubPages. 

One rule you may have broken back then, which no longer applies:  At that time, you were not allowed to link to the same website across several Hubs.  I see from your profile you're a member of some kind of online network - if you were adding a link to that network on every Hub, that would have  caused ALL your Hubs to be unpublished as overly promotional. 

That rule has now been removed, so it's OK to have the same link in every Hub - HOWEVER, the link MUST be directly relevant to the subject of the Hub (see the first rule above).   Also, if it's an affiliate link, it may not be allowed depending on where it leads.  HubPages is not clear about this, so the best advice is to remove all such links, get the Hubs republished and approved, then try putting the link back into one of your Hubs and see what happens - if it's not "legal", the Hub will get unpublished again.

VivBountyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Marissa

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)