Why does the HubPages staff allow for so much hatred?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93880

That thread has been around as long as I can remember. And every day a new thread pops up about one group hating on another. These aren't friendly debates, they are nasty, hateful people hating on other people's cultures and beliefs. It is harmful, and nothing ever gets done about it.

This community is supposed to be a friendly, helpful community...but as long as that garbage is allowed to stick around then it will never fully accomplish that goal.

I just don't get it - WHY?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although I agree that these forums can become a little toxic, there should always be room for dissent. Some threads are started by those who just want to argue for arguments sake, but sometimes, people just want to discuss an issue which is important to them and they want feedback.

mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Room for dissent" is one thing. Outright hatred is another.
        I avoid the forums because I can't stand seeing the hatred on the front page day after day.
        If they want to "interfere as little as possible" and let people say all that vile garbage to each other - then we should have the option to prevent it from showing up on the front page when we go to the forums. There is nothing pleasant about it. It's part of the reason I've almost completely stopped publishing here, and moved on to a competing website for my primary publishing. The atmosphere is far more friendly and inviting.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Room for dissent" is one thing. Outright hatred is another.
          I avoid the forums because I can't stand seeing the hatred on the front page day after day.

Sometimes very insecure people who are fully aware that their threads, not only have little value but will also be ignored by others, will resort to creating the most provocative of titles for their threads. It's the only way that they can *capture* the attention of those who are most likely to ignore them. And I have fell for that a couple of times, and received a couple of bans. If you want to get rid of rats or rodents, you shouldn't even contemplate feeding them *she says* the biggest sucker of them all.

1. renegadetory profile image61
            renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the forums, but yeah, I have to agree.  It seems to me that there are people in here who post things just to stir up a hornet's nest.  They are not looking for answers, they are looking to argue.  I have better things to do with my time, so I just avoid those threads or questions altogether.  I wish others would do the same.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've gone on periodic rants about this. To no avail. I've given up.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Dangit!  You've ruined it all!

I swore never to visit that thread and now you suckered me into it.  The link is now longer bright blue. sad

People hate the thought of censorship and I'm sure HP recognizes that.  Yes, they sometimes have to discipline the children to play nice, but on the whole they interfere as little as possible.

What is most interesting to me is they will not allow attacks on other hubbers, but nasty attacks on HP are common and allowed to remain.  It says something about the people there.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point about the censorship thing. I agree. I don't like the "hate" posts, but we're all adults here. I wish everyone on the site were able to act like adults and debate/discuss points without getting angry, but that's a pipe dream. lol

When I want to get involved in a forum debate, I prefer interacting with sane, reasonable, honest people. We don't have to agree to remain civil and to remain internet pals.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right.  Plus, your post shows something I run into far too often.

Why in the world wouldn't we agree to remain civil and remain pals?  That took a minute to decipher as you obviously didn't mean what I read.

It would help a lot if we weren't so quick to take offense; if we assume that no offense was meant and that we just aren't understanding.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol. Insert "in order" before the second "to" in the last sentence.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think thread that go from 'having an opinion' to having the opinion that X group of people a sinful/evil/should be persecuted... well, I think they should be locked out of respect for hubbers in those minorities who should be as welcome here as anyone else.

mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I'm saying. The things that are permitted are, in my opinion, just as bad as if a member of the KKK were to come here spewing their beliefs, promoting slavery. There is absolutely no difference. It is disrespectful to anybody and everybody who doesn't follow those beliefs.

And, it goes both ways - I know I pointed out a thread bashing athiesm (it was just on the front page), but there are plenty of athiests, and otherwise that bash back just as hard.

4. secularist10 profile image61
    secularist10posted 11 years ago

I don't even look at that particular forum. It just doesn't appeal to me, and never did, even though I am a big religion/atheism debate guy.

The staff do censor some forum posts. They could probably do a little better, but you have to have free speech. Nobody can really define what constitutes "hateful" speech versus strong disagreement. It's in the eye of the beholder.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I usually don't open those threads.  They're for the people who wish to comment on those kind of threads. 
    I find the HP community very tolerant, but there are all kinds of people here, so there are going to be controversial posts and hubbers who thrive on creating controversy.  I don't usually get involved, but once in a while, I'll call someone out.  I'm sure HP isn't crazy about some of the stuff that gets attached to its name, but that's their call.

6. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I wonder about the forums sometimes. At Infobarrel they share all of their secrets to getting good traffic, good ideas to write about etc. I don't care to write there, but I enjoy their forum and visit it once in awhile. Why aren't our forums here more like that? I think they were when I started writing here, but changed along the way.

I've been learning to avoid the political and religious forums. The one you mentioned, I just passed by it and went onto looking at the next.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)