Is it OK if Hubpages STAFF run sockpuppet accounts to goad hub forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (105 posts)
  1. Hub Gandhy profile image59
    Hub Gandhyposted 12 years ago

Sorry for the inconvenience- but that's what I just saw. HubPages staff, Jason Menayan, who runs another account called 'livelonger', just posted here in the link below, to save the Hubs from sinking??? Hah!

I quote forum rules- "Multiple Accounts: While we don't prohibit having more than one HubPages account, we ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums. The deceptive use of multiple accounts, especially in a single thread is prohibited. The use of secondary accounts to circumvent a forum ban is also prohibited."

Who will now BAN Jason Menayan?

.. .What a joke this website hubpages has become! Check ithttp://hubpages.com/forum/post/1884491

Hub Gandhyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    2. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK so leave already

Hey! don't take on ...

lol

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

neutral

Just getting tired of all this sill squabbling on the forums. HP can't win - they change the Amazon program and create a decent FAQ, but still they get hammered.

They don't have to listen, they don't have to change things.

I guess I should just leave the forums and then it wouldn't bother me!!!

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason you are BANNED, stay out of my cookie jar!

kk everything settled?

lol

4. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would be more difficult to separate personal opinion from HP policy if he were forced to use the same account.

5. WD Curry 111 profile image56
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dang, dude . . . you are a sock puppet account.

2. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

I would think a staff member is allowed one staff persona to post only staff content and one personal one for other personal stuff. So staff would get two per se without violating TOS.Just an opinion.

You have a legitimate question- But. He did not use that account to give his objective opinions to improve the website, did he?? 

He used it to attack and ridicule another hubber, sunforged. Why? coz he said this-

"Why for example can I converse with you under two distinct user names? Wouldnt it be best if staff members were shining examples of Hubpages TOS and suggested practice?"

Want to see yourself?? - http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1884524

Are these fun-loving people that you trust your money with?

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

*Sigh*

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*nods*

Ugh uh?

4. Hub Gandhy profile image59
    Hub Gandhyposted 12 years ago

When was a rule not same for everyone???  lol lol lol

"The deceptive use of multiple accounts ..."

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I am impressed by how quickly you have settled in here and picked up on some of the political hot potatoes.

Normally people say "Hi I'm new - look at this piece of crap I wrote" but you have not even bothered with that.

Respect.

Oh and welcome.  It's a great place here and there's probably some people who will want to be your friend.

1. Pcunix profile image89

I'm sure he's NOT new.  He's undoubtedly yet another sock puppet.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh no.  Surely not. With a name like Gandhi?  What on earth is the world coming to when you can't believe what's written on the internet?

Oh, that's true.

And of course Ghandi would be brilliant enough to absorb all the political aspects of HubPages in just 39 minutes.

How silly of me.  Thanks for the heads up, Mark!

6. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

money!?... who said I make money here...LOL!

... i didn't quite understand the rhetoric going back and forth when i read it the first time... maybe i'll check again.

7. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I have only one account on HP and if I have something to say, I say it. It makes little difference to me whether anyone agrees with my opinion or not. After all, I can always just logout of HP and go for a walk.  I think people should be free to speak their minds, respectfully of course. Unfortunately respect for differing opinions is not something I always see here in the forums, especially where matters of politics and religion are concerned.  I suppose if someone feels that they must be rude or insulting, or they just want to hype up the drama, and they must hide behind a sockpuppet in order to do so, well how sad is that?

It's not just cowardly, it's disgusting because it implies more support for a position than actually exists.

I don't really like staff having separate forum accounts, but I do see that it could be confusing if they did not.  They'd constantly have to be saying "This is just my PERSONAL opinion" and so on.

So, I have mixed feelings about it.  For anyone else, my feelings are more definite:  hub under any mix of names you like, but I don't want to ever see more than one name in these forums and I really wish HP would do more to prevent that.

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In most business respects your personal opinion reflects on the business, which is why you so often have to be careful. This is particularly important in the case of Jason who is Director of Marketing, since he is in charge of the Hubpages image.

8. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

well i can only assume you created the ghandi account after the attack in spite, but really I think he just misunderstood your  statement as sarcasm or maybe thats what you intended .I'm not sure myself because sometimes tone doesn't get across the internet so easy. I think his attack was minimal... Especially compared to one i had with ya a year ago where i got banned.... so anmyway , what do think of that new earning program... takin a toll on earnings or nill?

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

It seems you imagine that I would point out an issue with the use of multiple accounts and then immediately turn around and create a little sock puppet for myself?

I think it should be quite clear that I am willing to voice any dissent openly as myself ... I said it better the first time ... the rephrase by the OP doesnt add anything to my minor observation.

If I was to get emotional by the perceived unprofessionalism of Jason I would have vented there. Which, I did, in my manner.

Also, I wouldnt disrespect Gandhi by either adding Hub to his name or perverting the spelling. One must draw the line somewhere.

But thanks guy for assuming that I had a cowardly streak. I assure you I do not.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It really doesnt matter if it was or was not you.

Sock puppets ruin it for many people as is known.

And here is a time when your reputation was put on the line.

The fact is many think that maybe it was you Josh. . maybe you should take a minute to think about what that says about your words on the other thread and many of your posts since Panda.

For that is where I believe it was warranted for many to think you were the sock Gandhi. .. even if it was just for a second they thought it was you.

Sorry but you can not defend yourself with being willing to voice any dissent. Usually when you do, all come to your defense.

This time no one did.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't for a second think that sockpuppet was you.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me neither, the thought never crossed my mind.  I have no idea who it really is and I can't say I give a jot, really.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+

2. skyfire profile image79
          skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

I thought it was the same guy who harassed the forum members past few weeks (or it could be the guys who got banned or left HP during panda fest like V).

9. dungeonraider profile image85
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

All that's missing is the invitation to Wizzley or Squidoo.  Sigh.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

According to the definition of a sock puppet, there's not a single staff member who can be labeled one.

Attempting to claim that "livelonger" is a sock puppet account is actually quite sad.

Livelonger, as I have said this before when it was mentioned, isn't a sock puppet and nor does he bait anyone attempting to get them banned. Livelonger is Jason's personal account.

His staff account under his REAL name is not to be considered his primary account. The account he has for HubPages is his "work" account. And he only deals with WORK issues under that account.

When he is in the forums and NOT at work, but on his own time, he is livelonger. Should anyone have a problem with this, then maybe you should learn the difference between "personal" and "work" accounts.

Yes, STAFF is the exception to the rule of having more than one account being used in the forums. If you don't like that fact, too bad.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1  I agree.  Jason hasn't tried to keep his Livelonger account secret so he is not a sockpuppet.  I like to think I can deal with both of his persona in a  different manner because of this.  I may be mistaken, but I still like to think it! lol

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't realise it was him until someone said.  Not allowed more than one profile in a single thread.  However, I think HP staff should stick to one profile if discussing HP policies

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1  I'm getting a little tired of the conspiracy theorists, they drown out the people with genuine queries and concerns.

3. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hold on a second!!!!

Livelonger is a guy?

I've been sexting with a guy??

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol..you're too much Story Page!....wish i had your job

1. Greek One profile image64

call me by my maiden name.. Ms. OuttaHere

2. wavegirl22 profile image48

Who cares who the sock puppet is, and bringing up the thinking you know who it is only gives more strength to whomever it is.

It is all well and nice for Josh, who has been a great Hubber for almost 3 years  has people to come to his defense. Knowing Josh, I feel confident when I say, he does not need a camp for this. Add to that I doubt he gives points to those feel this need. A man of talent who respects those that might have some valid point and not just for the sake of cheerleading or enticing a witch hunt.

I am so jealous. . you never do that with me!

i did..

but you were watching the Jets game so I had to finish by myself

what can I say except the Jets game was over the top in the excitement category, not that your sex texting would not been as exciting, just that the win the Jets pulled out was off the charts and had me on the edge until the final sexonds wink

Looked for you at the Grey Cup, but you were no where to be found. . figuring that was a sure spot to find you. .. Gotta love those Lions!

i was napping at the time

11. Spice555 profile image57
    Spice555posted 12 years ago

lol  Using multiple accounts in the forums! Rules were only meant for the mortals!! lol lol big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a gods writing site.  We are all omnipotent here.  It's one of the requirements stated in the TOS.  lol

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

You CAN have different accounts, just don't talk to and quarrel with yourself in forums... sad 
    Pardon me, Randy, is omnipotent = impotent? Sounds close to me...

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Imagine what an irony that would be?  Being "impotent" and named "randy"! smile

(The words sound similar because they have the same Greek root, I believe.  "Potent" means power.  So impotent means literally without power and omnipotent means all powerful.)

13. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

I couldnt agree with you more!

Aint that the truth !

Well said Ray!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Wavegirl. smile Always a pleasure to see you and hope things are well. smile

14. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

How long is Jason banned for?

Love it.

15. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

I’m just sad to see two people that I like and respect, at odds with each other.  They have each helped me beyond my expectations, on more than one occasion.

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

another sockpuppet thread? just say what you want to say as yourself.

17. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

What!???
    Who's banned?
    Jason? Or Live Longer?
    That would be an interesting coup.
    Not only getting yourself as a Hub Pages staffer banned from your own forums, but also getting your sock puppet banned as well.
    That's a regular Charlie McCarthy moment, it is!

18. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Just a reality check to kinda put things in perspective...

1.  We are all here voluntarily... no one is holding a gun to our heads.
    2.  Participation in the forums is not necessary, or even particularly helpful, in earning money here.
    3.  There are very few people who do post here that anyone with any computer savvy at all couldn't find the real name for.
    4.  You can't really call someone a sock puppet if they say "This is my other account".
    5.  HP rules say that you must be 18 or over to have an account.  That means that everyone here is supposed to be an adult.  Just a reminder.

19. profile image0
    melafxposted 12 years ago

I'm with Melissa, when i first started hubbing i did things that werent allowed, but after a search in forums and an email for the support team, i got back to the right way. I think not all the people learn with their mistakes..

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5844202_f248.jpg

roll roll

20. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

No more fake ID's... DEAL or No Deal?..... ya know the banker was pretty arrogant up there. He says you ain't got the guts to stick to one ID! He's offering $12.20 for payout if you choose just one ID and walk... DEAL or No DEAL !?   ( Crowd yelling ) nodeal;nodeal;nodeal !!!

21. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

are you saying he posted YOUR real name... i missed that part... that would be out of line IMO... now i know why your mad.. I would be too... I thought the deleted name was his own... I didn't understand that til now. That's just sneaky rude.

22. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

Remember ya did post his though... I can see the differnce but yeah... hmmmm

23. profile image0
    melafxposted 12 years ago

WOW, Big Deal hmm

24. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ksa0HAryJhs/R55BRunlPmI/AAAAAAAAArw/0OM5WzHtHYw/s400/Troll2.jpg

25. wavegirl22 profile image48

According to CutterM' profile
    He has -  3 Hubs
    And He Joined 9 hours ago

His profile states:

This Thread he started:
    Will Hub pages BAN its Own ... ?

These are the threads he has been active on in his 9 Hours here:
    Are You Unhappy with HubPages?
    Is it OK if Hubpages STAFF run sockpuppet accounts to goad hub forums?
    Did Muhammad EVER teach its Followers to KILL people?
    Was Hitler a good man?

Hmm  .. . anyone else wondering what this guy's motives are?

26. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Is this the right place to ask whether I should use a text capsule as the first one, or maybe jazz it up big style with a photo?

Definitely.  And do it all with Header 2.  I have no idea what that Paragraph selection is for, do you?

No idea.  I use text and photo, and I once tried the questions one.

After I had written 100 hubs someone said "put RSS on all of them".  So I did.

After I wrote 200 someone said "Take the RSS off".  So I did.

I'm a bit worried about getting to 300.

Oh, it doesn't hurt at all.  The 300, I mean.  The 302d is nasty, but after that it's fine again.

Have we derailed this enough?

I think we have contributed sufficiently.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, have you guys read the winning Smashwords short story, The Agency? Definitely worth a read! http://marlin55.hubpages.com/hub/The-Agency
              all of the winning entries are excellent.

Cute, thanks.

27. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Does anybody know a good recipe for Australian squirrel gliders?

Take one glider and two slices of bread...

28. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I think he was livelonger before he joined HubPages as an employee.
    That said, it gives him two roles.

One role would be:
    Jason Menayan, the HubPages staffer who adheres to a business kind of social code where he has to remain PC in all his posts. Someone who doesn't get too personal and is basically just a suit.

The other:
    livelonger, the real Jason Menayan who doesn't have to adhere to this social code because this is his personal account. He gets to say "sh*t" and "f*ck" and "this thread blows" if he wants to. Not that he does.

Since he had a persona on HubPages BEFORE becoming a staffer, it wouldn't be very nice for them to say "you can't be yourself on HP anymore" but they also DO have a kind of business code they have to adhere to, thus giving him an alternate identity for that, Jason Menayan.

I honestly wish I could do the same. I've chosen to be more formal online and especially on HubPages. There are some benefits to being more formal and some drawbacks.

29. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

CutterM is apparently Howie Mandel http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005177/.

If he isn't, should he really be stealing other peoples identities?

If we keep feeding the trolls, they will as they have in the past double and triple at warp speed.

Best way to get rid of a troll usually is to take a look at their hubs and flag accordingly  . .

This one is a no brainer.

2. skyfire profile image79
    3. skyfire profile image79

You should be on 4chan type of sites. You're wasting your master intelligence here among mere mortals.

4. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

The sad thing is that his poetry is less annoying than the embarrassment than won the recent competition. I flagged it anyway, just because.

For once, and it may only be this once, I am in agreement with you Will.  Although I am no judge of these things, but it did seem... well.  I won't say more.

Worth a look though.  I hadn't bothered till I saw your comment.

1. profile image0
          Ossaultposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I thought this thread was deleted. 8 years is a long time. I see that some portions have been deleted from this conversation. Do you have a backup copy, Mark?

2. profile image0
          Ossaultposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I hope I don't get banned for posting to this forum, lolz!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)