jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

FIXED: large profile photos don't display whole image to crop

1. Hugh Fredericks profile image59
    Hugh Fredericksposted 4 years ago

While using Firefox, I'm trying to add my image to my profile. The image is uploaded, but the popup asking me to crop the image doesn't scroll with the page and can't be moved in the window. The result is that I cant crop my photo properly. (ie: I cant drag all the way to the bottom right of where I'd like to crop the photo) If the advice is that I should use a smaller image, then someone's missing out on doing UI properly.

So one more time: the "crop profile photo box" popup is broken. It doesn't scroll with the page and can't be moved, preventing the user from cropping the uploaded profile image properly.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having cropping an image.
      It looks like you are using a rather old version of Firefox, 10.
      If you upgrade to the latest stable version for your operating system, Firefox 17.0.1, do you still have the issue?

2. Matthew Meyer profile image75

I tested with another image and see the issue to which you are referring.
      I have sent this to our engineering team.
      Thanks for the information.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image75

This has been fixed and tested.
      Thanks for your patience!

2. Hugh Fredericks profile image59

That's odd. Checking under >Help (as is the custom) for >About Firefox, I see listed that I'm using Firefox 17.0.1 and that "Firefox is up to date". Odd huh? And I'm not using dev tools either... weird.

That is weird!  I was just going by the User Agent String your browser is reporting to our site.
      Here is what I see:
      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
      I would try clearing your browser cache and restarting the browser first.
      Then maybe try Chrome next.
      There are some other browser trouble-shooting steps here:
      http://matthewmeyer.hubpages.com/hub/Di … r-problems

3. Hugh Fredericks profile image59

Yeah - that's... odd. Thanks.

You might also consider removing Firefox entirely and then reinstalling it.

4. Hugh Fredericks profile image59

uhhh.. I'm more likely to switch to a nice, clean default profile after FEBE'ing my stuff! I'm on chrome now though, so we'll see...

Hugh Fredericksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

hmmmm. okay.. so I'm on Chrome now and trying to crop the photo... still no dice... the popup won't auto scroll and the crop tool won't either... here's the Chrome info from Win 7...
      Version 23.0.1271.97 m
      Google Chrome is up to date.

and not to be a nag about it, here's the full...
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.97 Safari/537.11

I know I could just scale down the image here with PS, but I thought you folks should be aware of a usability issue... now I'll try it in Safari for Win...

same issue with Safari on Win...
          photo uploads, popup displays w instruct to crop, but doesn't scroll with page and cant crop to lower right or left edges of image - basically I cant see the bottom of the popup and cant move the popup to access it.
          If I had to guess, it's probably a position: fixed attribute thingee  in the CSS or some such thing....

How large (size and dimensions) and what format (JPEG, PNG,etc.) image are you using?

650 x 650 jpg.
              Again, I *could* just scale this down in PS or whatever, but it might be worthwhile to you folks to let the user know max dimensions. This is not longer a big deal to me Matthew as I'll scale it down to like 250x250 or whatever works and go from there. As I say though, it might be useful to offer up a little at the user end...
              Thanks for your help.

Closed to reply

working