idea for a hub...

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

Hey guys I had an idea for a hub but before I write it I wanted some input, so tell my your honest opinion! 

So, a lil background on myself here, I prefer to date black men.  I have dated almost every race (except middle eastern and asian - simply because the opportunity never presented itself).  I just find the personality of most black men different and refreshing from most other races.  However, during the course of my dating career I have discovered something quite disturbing about people in general.  We are told that racisim is over and that no one cares, but anyone in my situation will tell you that is entirely false.  I get questions all the time about it, and I have been in some sticky situations in public because of my lifestyle choice.  I thought at first that perhaps it was just my location, but I have since moved several times so I can tell you that in TN, KY, IL, and MN it is all the same point of view, though the openness of people to express their opinions on the matter varies from place to place. 

Anyway, moral of the story, I was considering writing a hub on the topic of interracial dating, chronicling my experiences, and perhaps recommending ways to deal with these issues.  I was wondering what you all thought of such a hub.  I'm not trying to make waves here, I just want to open people's eyes to the way that society still is in a (probably futile) attempt to change it.  Thanks for your input!  (And I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone in the course of this.)

Rainbow Brite

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I would read it. It would be good to have someone with your experience describe what it was like. Beware though that some people on HubPages are very sensitive to anyone saying racism still exists. But I'm sure you can handle their comments.

3. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I say write what you feel like.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  If the HP Gods or Google Gods don't censure you for violations like spamming, profanity, promoting sex and hate crimes, and nudity, then rock on. So if you are worried about being PC here, don't.  So long as your writing is original, doesn't violate HP standards, then say what you think.  We can all learn something from your words.

4. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

I think you should write it.  If some people don't like it, too bad for them.  There are plenty of us who will defend your right to write about whatever you want (as long as it's tastefully done) whether we agree or not.  An article like that will most likely attract a lot of outside bigots, and you will get hateful comments and probably email too.  If that doesn't bother you, more power to you.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

But be prepared for the comments wars smile

6. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

You also have a deny button for comments

7. profile image0

kool kool lotsa positive feedback in a short time...I will get to work on that then.  I know that there will be negativity and I am prepared for that.  As far as denying comments, that is not something that I will usually do, but if it is a truly disgusting comment (i.e. using racial slurs or epithets) then yes I will most definately moderate it accordingly.  Thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it!

Rainbow Brite

8. profile image0

Ok guys I just finished that article, I've sent it to a couple of friends for proof reading and opinions and such, then it should be up by tomorrow or the next day.  Fair warning it's a bit lengthy (five pages!).

9. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about interracial dating tongue I say go for it! smile am sure it will be a popular subject and educational wink

10. profile image0

Alrighty then guys finally finished!  (Technically its been done since a coupla days ago but yeah had to wait on my readers to make sure it was ok.  I'm actually not really pleased with this it came out much more personal than I intended for it to but idk how to change it.  I thought of writing it in the third person, but that came out sounding way too fictional, and everything in this article is 100% true real life stuff.  So, yeah that did not work out for me.  I guess I sacrifice a lil professionalism for realism....but that's okay that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.  In any case, here it is, so go check it out!  http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Power-of-Polite-Politics.  And thanks again for all the encouragment.  I have actually been thinking of writing this for about a year now, but I kept arguing with myself (hate it when that happens)!  Without you guys this would have just stayed in my head another year or so!

Rainbow Brite

1. LondonGirl profile image82
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love it when I argue with myself - I win!

I can't see your hub, though,w hen I click on the link it says it doesn't exist?

11. rmshdc profile image58
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

I have bookmarked your hub and sure I will read.  Looks interesting!

12. profile image0

rmshdc - ty for the bookmark and i hope you enjoy it!  Always open to feedback, so feel free to comment there or here!

13. jyuva profile image58
    jyuvaposted 15 years ago

The link is not working or you didn't published yet big_smile

14. profile image0

hhhmmmm well idk why that happened....but here's a fresh link, lets try that

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Power-of-Polite-Politics

Rainbow Brite

15. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

I like the hub overall and your writing in general, but since you asked:

I would change the name to something more descriptive of the subject or at least expand it so people know it relates to racism. "The Power of Polite Racism" might work if you want to retain that theme.

Forget all the warnings about controversy. The idea is to attract readers and controversy will do that, even if some of them don't like what they see in themselves when they read it. You shouldn't write on controversial subject just for the sake of drawing attention, but if you feel strongly about something that is controversial, don't avoid it because of that either. Write what you feel strongly about and your writing will be strong.

One thing I did notice is in your pool story you said at the beginning that you were 17 at the time, but then at the end you say you got away because your grandma told them that you had just got out of the Marines. Seems to be a bit of a disparity there unless you joined at 13. I would have your fact checkers go over that. ;^)

From what you described in your initial post, I was expecting a very different hub. As I said, I like it so I'm not complaining. However, I think you could separate the general racism you experienced during you younger years from the more pointed racism relating to your interracial relationships. I liked how you touched on some of the racism you were confronted with from black friends and family members/partners and I actually think you could expand the latter part of the first hub into a separate (but equal) one in it's own right.

Also, I would take the terminology section and use a links capsule with links to the definition and a short synopsis as the description. It would be alot cleaner that way.

That's my take, hope it helps.

16. profile image0

Ty for the feed back, much appreciated!

Titles - I'm REALLY REALLY bad at titles....

The confusion about the dates....I enlisted in the Marine Corps at 17, and was kicked out for fraud, but couldnt find a logical way to write that into the story, so sorry for the confusion there.

In terms of the separation, actually I did put considerable thought behind that....I wanted to split it into two hubs....one growing up in a multiracial family and the other living as an adult in a multiracial household.  I may yet do that, since I am not the only one that thinks that's a good idea.

The links capsule....I have no idea what you are talking about on that one, not gonna lie!

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you look on the right hand side in the top corner, you will see a box that says "add more stuff" it has various different types of capsules you can add to the default ones, such as video, photo, ebay amazon, etc. One of those is a links capsule. I usually use them for reference links or to link to other hubs with similar subject matter, but they would work well for a glossary section also.

17. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 15 years ago

Well Rainbow, I just went to your Hub and to be honest I did not read it. I went to your article with the intent to check your writing style. I have a bad habit to judge others Hub (no not because I consider myself a genius and commit no mistake), find out their mistake and let them know about it. Some may find it good, other may say I am trying to act smart and trying to promote myself. Take it the way you want.

Se here are two things I have to say:

1. In your 4th and 6th post here you have given the link to your Hub. Any link in the comment to a Hub or in a post in this forum is treated as promotional trick and is not allowed. I know this wasn't your intention but this is how it is. You must have noticed a message box coming up when you would have submitted those 4th and 6th post. We generally ignore it but we shouldn't. Instead give the title of your hub and let the readers search it.

2. On your hub I saw the list of tags you have added. I feel you need to work on it. I have written about the ways to improve hubs in my following comments. Have a look

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/123616

Yes I will definitely read your Hub when I am free (it's very long).

18. profile image0

I appreciate any and all feedback!  At the end of the day, I am an artist, and as such, I am nothing without my loyal fan base!

1. yeah, I saw the box, read it, and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, so yeah that's totally my bad.

2. thanks for those links, I read and appreciated them!  I'm off to modify those tags now...

19. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

You're allowed to link to the hub you want people to look at in this section, BTW. In the "What this forum is for" post stickied at the top it advises to include a link.

20. webjunkie profile image59
    webjunkieposted 15 years ago

Sounds like a great idea for a hub. Just because we elected a person to the white house that was not A Caucasian with European ancestry does that mean racism has ended. I live in the town where thee KKK was founded have lived about 15 years now. When I came here there was still a sign on one of the roads that lead into town bragging of the fact, and some neighborhoods where completely all one race. This was in about 1995  not 1965.

Mankind is a strange animal  it has pretty much been proven that we descended from a group out of a small part of Africa, and yes I expect that group was 100% black. that means we are all from the black race, our colors have developed as an adaptation to our environment, not from a moral or physical change. Much like the domestic dog that has descended from the Wolf yes even your little miniature  Chihuahua was descended from the wolf we to are a  product of selective breeding.  Maybe we need to take a lesson from todays dog. Dogs don't care what color the other dog has for hair, or if that dog is another “breed” they will play, fight, live together and copulate and I expect never one ask the other dog if they have ever dated a French poodle,  Africanis or a Chinese Chongqing Dog.  (yes these are all dog breeds tongue

Good luck with your hub

1. guidebaba profile image56
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are surely NO JUNK on the WEB ! cool

2. sylvana profile image61
      sylvanaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's amazing webjunkie about the kkk. In 1995?? wtf???

21. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

A chungking dog? neutral

22. webjunkie profile image59
    webjunkieposted 15 years ago
  23. profile image0

cute pup!  I want one!  I totally believe you about the KKK in 95...my last run-in with them (which I talk about in my hub) was in ... either 2006 or 2007, I can't remember exactly.  I got such the mental picture imagining two dogs talking about race, btw, roflmao that was great!  Wish I couldda come up with that that would have been a great addition to my hub!

24. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

Them French Poodles are a snooty bunch!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)