I'm so discouraged...I've only made 64 bucks so far....anyone else?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Cailin Gallagher profile image69
    Cailin Gallagherposted 14 years ago

Just gaging anyone else's earnings here.  I just checked google adsense and I have earned 64 dollars in 18 months.  I've only written 19 Hubs and most of them don't get any traffic.   Any thoughts?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

$64 from 19 Hubs is pretty good going!  It took me about nine months to make my first $100, and I had 55 Hubs. 

Let's face it, how long did it take you to write 19 Hubs?  $64 is a pretty good return on your investment.  What did you expect - money for jam?

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure she didn't expect money for jam. But she is averaging less than $.02/hub/month. After 18 months if she had done everythng right, she should have been earning more. Ease up on her!

2. LillyGrillzit profile image77
        LillyGrillzitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1+

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You cant expect to make money by writing 1 hub per month, thats just ridiculous. As it happens, I am earning at a rate of about $100 per month now..... but I wrote my first hub 3 and a half months ago, so you do the maths.

3. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was almost a year before I got my first check. That's not that great. The interval between checks gets shorter and shorter though. The more topics you cover (and with a 95 score your writing must be pretty good) the more often readers come to your hubs. It takes times.

4. queenbe profile image59
      queenbeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have written 23 or 24 hubs with out much traffic outside of here and have made 10cents. I don't really know how to play this game either.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
        GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Safety in numbers, interesting hubs with rich contents and researching are some of the vital things to play this game...

You're just two months old in HP, dont worry the google search engine takes two months to fully recognize and index your hubs hehehe, if they have original, quality and useful contents hehehe... I am now averaging 200 to 250 views a day without my aid, Im just 3000 views away from the 20,000th views and most of my views comes from outside of HP...

5. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats pretty good given that you only have 19 hubs, but if you just made a whole lot of interesting, and quality hubs you could've made big hehehe, Im only four months here but earned half of yours hehehe which I consider also not that very high earning wakikik... I have 64 hubs and most of my clicks are cents, I guess I better change strategy wakikik i will concentrate on hubs that will lure ads that have expensive clicks...

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Well, it would have been be worse if you hadn't made anything.  You did, however, make me feel better about my earnings.LOL

3. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I think I read somewhere that you have to write 50 hubs before it starts to really pay off.  I think the more you write, the more traffic you generate.  I don't think it's the hub score, precisely, that puts you up there--its the number and quality of hubs you write.  They will eventually get more traffic and get featured as you gather a growing audience.

It's a numbers game, and there's a lot of people who feel discouraged long before you have, simply because there's a long lead time  before it pays off, and we're kind of an instant gratification society.  I feel that way myself, sometimes--that I'm putting a lot more into than I get out of it in terms of dollars and cents, but most of the time there's a lot of other compensations, a lot of good writers to read and interesting and informative topics.  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

4. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Sorry to say that I haven't looked at your hubs (but I will). If the problem is no traffic, have you thought about keyword research? You may be writing the best hubs in the world, but if no one is searching for the stuff you're writing about, then no traffic, ergo no clicks, therefore no money.

Again, off the cuff, perhaps you're writing about popular stuff but there are sooooo many people writing about it that you have a hard time being heard by the search engines.

5. Casper021 profile image60
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

It takes time to make money with adsense. The basic rule for adsense is quality traffic = clicks = money. I have not been on hubpages for long but I can see a potential of earning ok money with adsense all you have to do is provide quality content on your hubpages, and drive quality traffic. Do not use things like traffic exchanges as they will produce low quality traffic and google may ban you. Personally I have been using adsense on my websites and currently making about 200-300 a day from adsense so it is possible to make good money, you just have to work at it and don’t give up.

1. klatrenta11 profile image59
      klatrenta11posted 14 years agoin reply to this

new to this wondering if you can help me get started. thanks

6. Laura du Toit profile image76
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty new here so I don't really know what the average traffic per day per hub is or should be. What I do know is that the one hub that I did in answer to a question posed by Hubpages gets 10 times more traffic than my other hubs.

I would think that Hubpages does a bit of keyword research before they post these questions and it might be a good idea to look into doing hubs on questions that they post.

By the way can anyone tell me how many views are average for a hub?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers ask those questions not Hubpages so if you plan on answering one as a hub then at least do your own keyword research. Internal traffic is a good ego boost but does nothing for your Adsense.  You need outside traffic for that and in order to get outside traffic you need to write about what people are searching for.

Cailin, go back to your hubs and edit the summary text.  Write an original summary that has a few resarched keywords.  This alone can boost your traffic and Adsense revenue. 

A lot of us here on HP are creative writers and like to play with words and we forget that our play with words in not likely SEO friendly. Do a search on HP for tips on keyword research, I have a few, but there are many on this site that are great.

2. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no I can't but did you see my hub on Tertia du Toit? beautiful artist! Any relaton of yours smile

7. Cailin Gallagher profile image69

Wow Casper...200 to 300 a day for five hubs?  Your hubs are definitely informative. 

Marisa---I claim ignorance...what does the saying "Money for Jam" mean?  And you're right...I've got to get down to writing and spending more time on here.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This has nothing to do with them being informative or not. smile

2. Casper021 profile image60
      Casper021posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have to clarify something 200-300 a day is not from hub pages as i been on hubpages for only few days, I am getting it from my other websites which I had for a few years now

8. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks for the tip livewithrichard. I did do my keyword research after I read the question and the searches were good and the competition acceptable. I have been getting outside traffic to this hub ( not google as yet but Yahoo).

This particular question said asked by Hubpages with their logo.

Is there a hubber with Hubpages logo?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No but the staff does have a generic profile by that name.  Questions and requests are made to help hubbers that are stuck on trying to find something to write about. 

Laura, I didn't mean to suggest you didn't do your own research, I was writing in general.  To clarify a bit, before answering a question or request, I would want to know if the information being asked by another hubber or staff is worth my time and effort by researching keywords and traffic estimation using Google's tools. 

I can't asnwer your other questions about how many views are average for a hub, everyone has a different asnwer. I have a couple that get between 100 and 200 per day, but many more that may get 2 to 4 per day. If after a few weeks the hub is still performing slow then I try to fine tune it with keywords in the summary text, title and tags. This seems to boost it up for me.  But even then, if the traffic is up and no clicks I'm still doing something wrong and I keep fiddling until it works. Traffic means nothing if there are no clicks or if the cliks equal a cent or 2.

9. Cailin Gallagher profile image69

Thanks for all the input both positive and negative.  smile

10. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Are you intentionally writing to earn?  I see you have some celebrity Hubs:  those will get traffic, but are well-known low earners.  Also, with only 19 Hubs, that's not much of an earning base.

Here are my suggestions for earnings,
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good information on that hub,..soooooo glad ya shared. thanks

11. Cailin Gallagher profile image69

Great article Relache.  My answer would be yes and no.  Previously, I have just written to sort of test the waters and see what works and doesn't work.  I just haven't had time to put into it.  More recently, I've started considering getting more involved and understanding the marketing piece of this.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have made $64 without using the Google Keyword Tool, then you should be nothing but 'encouraged', as you would probably have made a fair bit more if you wrote to high paying keywords. Its an essential tool for identifying potentially high earning topics. I guess that Relache's article probably covered that stuff, I havent clicked on it.

12. Cailin Gallagher profile image69

I have 43,000 odd views in total with a couple getting most of the views.  Some don't get any.  I have to fine-tune them for sure. 

RyanKett:  Google Keyword Tool.  God do I have a lot to learn.  That's encouraging actually.  I was deducing that this should simply be a hobby...which I'd be happy with as well, but it's worth a shot to do it correctly and attract traffic.  smile

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Views does not necessarily equate with earnings. For instance, celebrity topics are known for getting traffic but not much earnings. 

Making Hubs that just get views or Hubs that earn a lot takes different strategies and content.

2. Army Infantry Mom profile image61

You mentioned a couple of your hubs stood out with high views,..
      I had 2 hubs doing the same thing, So what I am starting to do, is incorperate a different hub i wrote with lower views into the hub thats got traffic,(of course content is related)..Now they are bouncing from one of my pages to the next,..with in 12 hours of doing this with just 4 of my hubs,..my views acually doubled. Infact time to check my stats. One more quick Idea that has helped me bring in a lot of outside traffic,...sending out newsletters to all my friends and family (which they share with their Family and friends) and of course to any of my online friends that is intrested.

1. RNMSN profile image60
        RNMSNposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good idea...and MontanaFarmGirl wrote a good hub on keywords and google adsene...its confusing to me/I am only an egg, slightly cracked/but I do keep it on favs so I reference it smile

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61

I am totally cracked,..LOL. Seriously though I learn something new everyday, My reports and learning to read them taught me a lot.

13. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

No one should ever be discouraged by the assumed correlation between earnings and quality or quality and hubscore.

The hubscore is effected by user partcipation more than anything else, if you spend time commenting, forumming and fanning, (rather than writing) youll get a good hubscore.

Good adsense earnings or more accurately good earnings in proportion to internet real estate is more likely to be in account of having poor or general traffic (not targetted) or poor writing style.

A good writer is read, your reader has less reason to click away.
    Sometimes a searcher shows up on a good writers content and they were looking for a similar topic, one you dont answer and then they click away.

Keyword research will help you get better paying clicks on those few searchers who do click.

Those that are writers first, remember a click is someone who decided they didnt want to read you anymore, so never listen to that BS about quality and earnings.

On the flipside, there are exceptions, someone like Relache has a niche, quality content and as a result probably benefits from lots of natural backlinks and user generated promotions, at that level of traffic clicks are bound to happen.

dont ever think adsense is rewarding quality content the exact opposite is true, traffic and ranking may reward quality content but that is not interchangeable...and there are better monetization methods for good writers who take the time to learn their options

14. Cailin Gallagher profile image69

Better monetization methods sunforged?  If a writer hypothetically wants to focus more on quality and less on the business side of clicks...then is there even a place on the internet for this?  Just wondering if it's too much like writing and throwing your paper into the wind.  smile  Interested in your input.

15. Laura du Toit profile image76

Thanks for the reply livewithrichard

16. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

I think it is good to experiment with different niches as you can then see which will bring you good organic traffic and clicks. There are certain niches that have high traffic from hubpages but very liite search engine. I have spent my first two months on here experimenting with various niches and the results are very clear in my account. My best hubs are not in fact the highest paying as I have found it is the niche. I had no clue when I joined hubpages but I would advise you to read all the hubs from the top hubbers as the information they give you is free and you will learn lots of things for SEO optimization from them. I am $10 from my first adsense payout and I worked very hard to earn this in 6 weeks.

17. NGRIA Bassett profile image61
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

Be encouraged. They say that a watched pot never boils. I am expectant that I will earn but I am focussing on the joy of expression and learning from you all. Keep going you will succeed if you do not stop.

18. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I see that some of your hubs have to do with current events (that are no longer current).  While these might get an initial spike of traffic while the topic is still "news," they drop off quickly.  Try to concentrate on writing evergreen content that people will be searching for for months and years to come.

19. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

I think I have you topped because I think I'm sitting on $0.00 -but I've decided since I'm doing this in my spare time after working a 9-10 hour day and I have a brand new puppy, I just need to give it time and think about why I'm doing it - because I love to write...and I love mixing in the ads and the pics, researching.  I'm hoping that when I least expect it, I will check on there and find out I'm rich!  ha ha Just if I made something from it, I might treat my hubbie and puppy to a dinner out!

20. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

well people's interests are very flicked;and traffic is unpredictable.

last month I made 14.50 and this month so far is .14 cents.
    I'm still waiting for payday...it's coming soon...roll

21. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I don't think I've made any thing? I wouldn't know how to check.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you signed up with Google Ad Sense, and if you made sure to put your Ad Sense publisher number in your HubPages account, you can sign into your Google account (Ad Sense) and click on "overview".  "Today's Earnings" will show up there, but you can select a time period to show what, if anything, you've earned in any given time period.

22. profile image56
    Siew Chengposted 14 years ago

If you are discouraged with $64 from less than 20 hubs, I guess I have to commit suicide, since I have more than 2 hundred blog posts, and more than 50 hubs, yet making far less than you in 8 months.

23. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

So you consider yourself an advertiser not a writer?
    If so, I would also be disappointed.
    If you consider yourself a writer then be happy you have published hubs here.
    I personally was just about to crack 90 when a bunch of my hubs got flagged and now my score is down and I would be losing money IF I cared about advertising revenue.
    I don't.
    I get paid to actually write on other sites.
    Hub pages is about fun for me.
    Don't sweat the money.

24. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Don't be discouraged, that's not too bad. I would agree with what the others have to say about SEO, write more hubs, niches and such, that will help alot. Oddly enough I only really started earning when I stopped careing weather I earned or not! Keep trying and good luck smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)